Maxtor vs Segate vs IBM

the ibm i had was a IBM 180GXP 80Gb 7200rpm ATA100 2mb Cache Hard Drive

hey philkf :D.. is the ibm drive good with you.. is it behaving?

Get a WD (no option i know) but i had a 40 gig version for 2 years, and it's still working fine, now i have a second one, 80 gig's 7200rpm, 8mb cache, working for a month now, no problems what so ever. It seems that Samsung and especially Fujitsu are very good, at least mine is, i still have a 6 gig Fujitsu working in another computer for some 4-5 years now....

Oh you bought one allready...well....anyway..good luck wit it..:D

well naturally i would've got the WD 8mb cache but i couldn't... too bad :(

i heard that thing goes as fast as scasi,is that true?

Yeah....it's scares the crap out of me...it's way and way faster than my 40 gig 5400rpm one....that cache and rpm of that thing are fabulous..

Originally posted by Leo154
i heard that thing goes as fast as scasi,is that true?
only in burst speed tests. in real world tests it's anywhere between 0 and 10% faster than the 2mb version.

from the results i've seen, anyway.

first choice > seagate
second > maxtor then newer ibms almost even
never choice > wd dont like them for myself, would never put one in a box i built for someone else

Originally posted by taurus
only in burst speed tests. in real world tests it's anywhere between 0 and 10% faster than the 2mb version.

from the results i've seen, anyway.

They say the bigger cache also results in a longer lifespan...

Originally posted by G-Lizard86
They say the bigger cache also results in a longer lifespan...
Theoretically, yes. Less operations on the acctual disk means less wear and tear. But what difference it does in real life, if any, is hard to say.

I don't know about you guys but I have a Western Digital Caviar 22100 IDE with 2.1 GB of storage. And I've ran this thing in the ground day after day since I bought it, and it keeps

"going and going and going"

I know all th rest of my drives are not western digital but any new ones sI get will definitely be Western Digitals.

/me has a maxtor 40gb 72000 VERY quite......dam fan makes lots of noise though:p

People are very biased towards HDDs :p ;)

Personally all the WD's I had, each and every one of them, died.
Maybe the company does not like me.

I couldn't care less. I trust IBM and Samsung, I have a Samsung 6GB 5400rpm, she spins every day, and has not been turned off for at least a month now.

And I had that drive since 1997. ;)

My first build had a Maxtor ( forgot the model #) and it ran for over four years no problems.

Then I had a system with a 40gig WD and 6 months later the drive failed.
A new one arrived ( same model ) and 1yr later it showed signs of fatigue.

We use Seagates downtown and they have been running quite well.

I just bought 3 x 80 gig Maxtor ATA133 HDDs, 2 of which will be running in RAID 0.

My vote obviously is with Maxtor.

I'd stick with IBM but then they sold their HD division to Hitachi.
Never had a problems with the IBMs. 2 hd - Raid 0 main OS , and another 2 hd for storage and backup. The Raid ones are always kept cool from the front intakes in the Lian-Li case. Been running like that since August 2001.

Maybe I'll have to switch to Seagate once the SATA drives are widely available, hey, that would mean a new computer. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back