Maxtor T.E.C

G

Gouk

I cant believe my maxtor is already giving a T.E.C and its new and my Western Digital is like 2 1/2 years old and still no T.E.C.

Atleast the T.E.C is a long way off :)

Originally posted by Zedric
Terrible Emergency Crash?
I have no idea.

I do :) I should of explained what it meant in the first place :D

T.E.C. is "Threshold Exceeded Condition" and basically it means a disk failure :(. The program gives an estimated failure date. Its moved to 2011 now though :cool:

Maybe you need some cooling in the future.. drives get hot. I've got a 80mm fan sat sucking air in over my two Maxtor D740X's.

Have you still got warranty.. take it back to shop & get replacement.. unless of course you've been thrashing it!! :rolleyes: :D

Originally posted by stuy_b
Maybe you need some cooling in the future.. drives get hot. I've got a 80mm fan sat sucking air in over my two Maxtor D740X's.

Have you still got warranty.. take it back to shop & get replacement.. unless of course you've been thrashing it!! :rolleyes: :D

I've already had it changed once :( The first Maxtor wrecked after 6 mths only and had a S.M.A.R.T failure.

This is my second one and so far its fine but only 300 Mb is left on it which is why I am getting a new 120 Gb Maxtah :D

coolio dude :cool: go for a D740X, man there fast as f***!! :D

Originally posted by Goku

I've already had it changed once :( The first Maxtor wrecked after 6 mths only and had a S.M.A.R.T failure.

This is my second one and so far its fine but only 300 Mb is left on it which is why I am getting a new 120 Gb Maxtah :D
Just a question. If you had so much problem with Maxtor, why buy them again? Try the Western Digital 120 GB with 8 MB cache instead. Beats 10000 RPM SCSI in some applications. I'm not kidding.

My maxtor 40 gb drive which is no more than 2 years old had a smartfailure, yet my 10 gb maxtor which ive had for 6 years is fine.

I just hope large hard disk capacity technology isnt reducing hddd lifespan?

ive just gone and got meself a 120 gb whoppa from WD!

*/waits for parallel technology to be introduced to harddrives*

Originally posted by Zedric
Just a question. If you had so much problem with Maxtor, why buy them again? Try the Western Digital 120 GB with 8 MB cache instead. Beats 10000 RPM SCSI in some applications. I'm not kidding.

Yea thats a great hard drive it beat everything on techtv when they benchmarked them.

Kekekeke :D

I changed my order with Aria to the new 120Gb Western Digitals they got in stock :)

I'd be damned if I bought another shyster Maxtor drive again :eek:

I changed my order with Aria to the new 120Gb Western Digitals they got in stock :)
be careful. western digital makes 120gb drives with only 2mb cache, as well (5400 & 7200 rpm). make sure you got the 'special edition' one with 8mb cache.

What does the Hard Drive cache do?
The harddisk is a slow device. If the disk can store some of the data it recently used (and is probable to be used again soon) in a faster memory (cache) the performance can be boosted severely. 8MB is better than 2 MB since you can store more data. However if you would get more, say 64 MB, the cache would be too big (too slow to search though for relevant data) and therefor less useful than a smaller cache.
Originally posted by xsk8zerox
I think 8 megs is the biggest for ide
For now, yes.

LOL

Ya mean it works the same as the Internet Explorer temp cache?

Hmm ill find out if its the special edition or not.

Ya mean it works the same as the Internet Explorer temp cache?
Umm, yes. The basic principals are the same. Cache is cache you know. :) The hdd cache is quite a lot faster of course. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back