Maxtor D740X Diamondplus 60 or 80GB noisy

C

chkhong

My hard disk seems to be quite noisy despite all the reviews describing it as a reasonably quiet drive. There is an especially annoying medium-high frequency buzz that can be intrusive.
Anyone else find this? My Maxtor isn't a fluid bearing model (BB suffix rather than JB on model #)
Anyone else with similar observations or solutions? I don't really want to have to use up my last 5.25" slot for a SilentDrive housing...:confused:

the maxtor dampning tool is on there website under support, hope it helps

noisy maxtor

I used to have a noisy Maxtor HDD but since I installed a delta fan, the offending drive has quieted down. :D

Thanks guys.
Where does the Delta fan go? HD cooler or case fan? I thought Deltas were supposed to be noisy... I already have a 92mm Ultraquiet case fan. Interested to hear from you again Rebs.
Gonzo, I don't suppose you have the URL for the Maxtor dampening tool? Couldn't find it unfortunately.
I went and got Noisecontrol's dampening cage- it's a 5.25" cage which support the HD on rubber bungies - the Maxtor is now damn near silent - I was a little sceptical but it's excellent. A little pricey but well worth it in my circumstances.

My D740X drives are very quiet, the case fans make more noise in my rig!

If your using an Intel motherboard & the Intel Application Acceleration v2 program, you can set the drive to performance or noise.. its a slider.

Originally posted by stuy_b
My D740X drives are very quiet, the case fans make more noise in my rig!

If your using an Intel motherboard & the Intel Application Acceleration v2 program, you can set the drive to performance or noise.. its a slider.

That's precisely the point stuy_b once the delta starts screaming
you won't hear anything else :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back