Maxtor 30 Gig

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by jam, Jul 19, 2002.

1. jam

jam Guest

When I open my computer I can hear 2 clicks and it doesn't boot up giving me an error about my DMA 100 not being recognized. I have a Maxtor 30 Gig, 7200 well installed since more than a year and lately it's been acting on me...any clues

I get the error code 004 with the Maxtor HD testor that I downloaded today. I re-installed yesterday, I do that every month or so, and before I re-installed it wasn't booting up at all.

I'm using Win XP Pro, Asus A7V133, 256 Meg SDRAM and as far that I can see everything is well connected and well configured so I don't know what's happening. All my drivers are up to date so it shouldn't be a problem.

Let me know if you have anything about that :)
  2. Reg

Reg eXperienced!

Arlington, TX
    Sounds like your HD may have went out. You could try low-level formatting the HD. This type of format will completely erase EVERYTHING on your HD. It's a good diagnostic tool because if your HD can not low-level format, it is bad.
  3. jam

jam Guest

So far my HD is still working. Only that from time to time it does that and I have to do a manual reboot to make it work again.

I'm waiting for another Maxtor HD (80 Gig) so I'll be able to see what's really happening here.

Thanks for your reply