Maximum temperature for a computer system

Glaanieboy

OSNN Veteran Addict
I just relocated my server to a place under my desk, where it is out of the way. But the ventillation isn't very good there, I am afraid, the system's temperature is around 50 degrees Celcius, while my CPU is running at a temp of 35 degrees. What is the maximum temperature for a board before it's doing weird things? Here are the specs:
AMD Athlon T-Bird 1000MHz
128MB SD-RAM
20 GB 5400 rpm HD
Asus A7V266 mainboard.

not 100% sure on this..... but i believe that your system temp will always be higher than your CPU temp. and a CPU running at 35 degrees celcius isn't THAT bad. my P4 runs at about that temperature. and also, AMD CPU's have a lot higher failing point temp than Intel chips do as far as i know.

Have you thought about a duct to increase air circulation around your desk??

Unless the cpu is water cooled (or pelteir) that is bogus data. The CPU is cooled by system air. The CPU can't be cooler than the system air temp. Check the system and CPU temps in the bios to see what they say.

Either the CPU or the system could be off. Your cpu looks too cool and the system too hot so I suspect both are bogus readings.

You can stick a room thermometer in the case to get the system temp. Getting an accurate CPU is a problem. Check for bios updates that correct the temp readings. Or on that board I think the cpu temp is mesured by a thermal sensor that sticks up off the MB under the CPU socket. If the thermal sensor was pushed down away from the socket it will read too low.

http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm

My AMD Athlon 2100+ at stock does 40-45C. Internal temps around 20-25C.

Your internal temps are quite high, I find that getting more air into the case is more important than getting the hot air out. At least 1-2 exhaust fans and 2 intake. My new setup is 1 fan on roof of case (exhaust), 1 on side (intake), 1 on front (intake).

FYI, my old T-Bird chip did around 50C for 8 months before making the most burned looking toast I've seen.

You were right, I read the signals wrong. It's 51 degrees for my CPU and 34 degrees for my system. I can remember those values were much lower when I had the PC in the middle of my room. I have immediately shutdown the computer in question and will let it cool off until I get back from work, before I will move it back and see what the results are.

system temps and cpu temps are nt set in stone :)

my system... depedending on whether I have my case fans connected or not varies significantly...

it is best to try and keep the range rather narrow for the cpu but also donm't let the case temps get too high...

the cpu itself is being cooled (assuming its an air-cooled system) by air in your case... all your components are... if the case temp (in my case system temp == case temp) is high... all your components are going to be exposed to warmer air...

smaller cases have bigger problems with higher temps... a good way to get rid of excess case heat is to have a large blow-hole cut into the top of your case... heat rises and therefore it will allow for cooler case...

/end mindless blabber...

in your case glaanie the case temp is fine... the cpu temp is a little warm but a coupla tweaks and it should be fine...

Sazar said:
in your case glaanie the case temp is fine... the cpu temp is a little warm but a coupla tweaks and it should be fine...

What tweaks are you talking about?

basically just re-working cabling... messing round with airflow... re-arranging hdd's so they are not too close to each other (hence producing more heat in close proximity :eek: ) and so on... so forth...

common sense tweaks :)

Glaanie

The CPU temp is a little high (unless you're gaming during the test) but not anything I'd worry over.

The biggest thing I've found is that in many older cases the air opening in the front of the case are too small. The total area of the slots should be at least as much as the opening in the intake fan.

After that using flat cable instead of round is a problem. Lacking a source of cheap round cables you can take flat cables and fold them into a loose circle then wrap a piece of tape around them to hold them that way. I ran a system this way for months before round cable prices dropped to something reasonable.

Also make sure you have at least 6 inches in front of and behind the computer to give it unrestricted airflow in and out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back