maximum temperature before lockups

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by AmarSingh, May 2, 2002.

1. AmarSingh

AmarSingh Guest

I have a felling the temp of my duron 1.2GHz is causing lockups. does anyone know what the maximum operating temp of this or a similar cpu would be before i experienced stability issues? I am getting a lot (i mean a lot) of lockups in dos trying to format or whatnot) and i think the temp might be the cause. its running 70-80 degrees celsius. i know i will get a new fan, but i cant for a day or two.

2. xsivforce

xsivforce Prodigal Son Folding Team

My (1.4ghz). I can't remember exactly, but I think it locked up at less than 70C. It only did it once because I forgot to apply the thermal compound when I changed heatsink(I'll never forget that again).:eek:

3. Cosmin

Cosmin Graphic Designer

Sure !

80 degrees celsius ? That's very much . I have 46 at my Athlon ! take a new Fan TITAN ( mine has 7500 rot ) or Volcano and you will see the difference .
    I say that the maximum temperature for your processor should stay at 60-63 degrees . .

4. Bytes Back

Bytes Back Ex Police Chief

EEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKK :eek: :eek:

Way over the top, if it was mine I wouldn't even use it !! Go and put it in the fridge at once untill you've bought a volcano 7 :D

5. Cosmin

Cosmin Graphic Designer

:confused: :confused:

6. AmarSingh

AmarSingh Guest

well its not mine...its my friends and im not really using it, just trying to format. i think ill get a volcano 6cu though since he's trying to save a few bucks where he can. I knew i needed a new fan, but i thought id try to format and see what happens

7. xsivforce

The Volcano 6cu + is very loud. It runs at a constant 7000 rpm. The normal Volcano 6cu (without the +) runs at about 4550rpm.

Seriously, spend the extra on the Volcano 7.

8. AmarSingh

AmarSingh Guest

well im not running it anymore...just tried a few times yesterday. ill get a new fan tomorrow and see what happens....what should i set the maximum temp to?? i dont think the bios has that option, but ill have to check.

9. xsivforce

With Motherboard Monitor, I set an alarm to go off if my CPU temp reaches 55C.

10. AmarSingh

AmarSingh Guest

i installed a volcano 6CU and its running cool as a cucumber and xp is installing too. sweet! I think the problem was not that the fan was that bad, but it wasnt installed correctly. When i took it off there was part of the cpu die that was not covered by the thermal pad that was on the heatsink. i got myself some arctic silver and now all is good :D

11. xsivforce

Glad to hear it!!! :D

12. GHOST21

GHOST21 Guest

my cpu runs at 80 F...considering i have an air duct and 3 fans on it :) the whole system runs about 70 F.... thats with 6 fans inside though :D

13. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

i fit cheep 2gig coolers on duron chips, average is 35-42 deg C