Mapping Network Drives slow in XP

B

bodie

Has anyone got an answer to why mapping network drives in XP is so slow?? We are running XP Pro on a Netware NDS 4.11 network.

It is slow because XP uses a feature known as Network Caching. Network Caching is a new feature introduced with XP that allows XP to cache files stored on an intranet server to the HD for faster read/write access. When you log off, the files are then sychronized to the servers and are removed from local cache (if you have that feature enabled). The problem that most people face is that if your mapped drive has a lot of data and there are a lot of users on your network, Network Caching is extremely slow.

You can fix this problem by disabling Network Caching (you should also delete roaming profiles on log off). To do this, edit the local group policy on your machines.

You need to change the following options:

Local Computer Policy -->Computer Configuration -->Adminitrative Templates-->System-->User Profiles--> Delete Cached Copies Of Roaming Profiles: ENABLE

Local Computer Policy -->Computer Configuration -->Adminitrative Templates-->Network-->Offline Files-->At log off, delete local copy of user's offline files: ENABLE

Local Computer Policy -->Computer Configuration -->Adminitrative Templates-->Network-->Offline Files-->Files Not Cached: ENABLE

Where are these settings? Control Panel? (Running Swedish version)

Group Policy Editor

Start->Run "gpedit.msc"

JJB

Reg;

I ran the Group Policy Editor (GPedit.msc) and ENABLED the settings exactly as you specified but still did not notice any real improvement.

I know that Group Policy executes first Locally, then Site, Domain, then OU. Is it possible that the changes I made to my local policy settings are being overwritten by another Group Policy from the Domain Controller? I can't see why this would be enforced.

When I made the changes I was logged into my LAN account which is also a member of the local Administrators group, so I can't understand why it wouldn't have worked.

Any other possibilities?

Hmm, yeah, trying today it seems it's just a little bit faster than before. Copying 100 MB takes about 3 minutes instead of 4-5.

It still takes only about 15-20 seconds to any Win2k machine in the network.

Originally posted by bodie
Reg;

I ran the Group Policy Editor (GPedit.msc) and ENABLED the settings exactly as you specified but still did not notice any real improvement.

I know that Group Policy executes first Locally, then Site, Domain, then OU. Is it possible that the changes I made to my local policy settings are being overwritten by another Group Policy from the Domain Controller? I can't see why this would be enforced.

When I made the changes I was logged into my LAN account which is also a member of the local Administrators group, so I can't understand why it wouldn't have worked.

Any other possibilities?

Login locally to the machine, not using a domain account. As for group policy, the domain policy will not overwrite functions not specified in the domain policy. If you, for example, disabled those features on the domain policy, it would overwrite the local policy. Other than that, it would not change.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back