Manually Adjusting Hardware Configuration

jimi_81

OSNN Senior Addict
Political Access
This question might seem foolish, but what the hell...give it a shot

I got this computer, that has XP installed on it, and I'm trying to get the internet to go on it, but the thing is the IRQ of the ethernet card must be set to 3 or 10 (according to my ISP).

When I try to adjust the IRQ value its greyed out.

I was told to look into ACPI but I can't find it in the BIOS
maybe I'm missing it...

Is there a setting inside XP that I can modify?
Or is there anything else I could do?

:rolleyes:

Not that i'm a hardware techie but how will a local IRQ address affect an external entity such as an ISP... it shouldn't be an issue should it?

apparently my service doesnt work on IRQ 9
I remember going absolutely insane this one time, so i called up my ISP and they said take the ethernet off of IRQ 9 and put it to 3 or 10

so ya.. sounds stupid i know

How are you connecting to the net ?. I just can't see how an IRQ on your ethernet card can affect your connection. Also remember that XP 's handling of IRQ's is different from 98's.

Anyway 3's reseverd for a com port, if you tried using it for a pci device you would have all sorts of trouble.

You have a shonky tech support =P

they are wrong... just go read the help files... they usually know more than the tech support know.

i assume u can read the help files seeing as ur on the net right now =P

hmm, yes i know it sounds foolish...
but it seems to ALWAYS work

so, cutting to the chase, how do you manually configure IRQ
this acpi
is there something in windows.. that i can get at it with??

acpi ? what does acpi have to do with your isp ?

acpi is advanced blah blah power blah blah something or other and I can't see it having anything to do with your isp :)

as long as you are on the net mate... thats all that matters...

I don't mess around with my IRQ settings... but maybe you can check the windows help database... they SHOULD have something there...

g.luck :)

ok ok ok
forget i ever mentioned ISP
now.. could someone tell me where i can get help on manually editing my irq settings (its greyed out in safemode and normal mode)

From my own pc i cant edit IRQ no problem, but i cant on my friends computer...

any suggestions
PS.. remember, forget i ever mentionned ISP
:D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back