Manual IP config on LAN

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by ming, Apr 26, 2005.

1. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but whenever I manually configure an IP to my deskptop and laptop computers I cannot get them to communicate with each other. I can only get it to work if I have them automatically obtain an IP from the DHCP server.
    Both machines are connected via a router (Linksys WRT54G).

Any help will be appreciated. :)

Also, one other question not related to the above problem. Can I set the DHCP server to distribute IPs starting 10.xxx.xxx. and ending 192.xxx.xxx. or must the first part of the IP be the same number (ie. 10.xxx 10.xxx)?

Thanx

2. fimchick

fimchick OSNN Senior Addict

Not quite sure why you want to keep one PC on a class A IP block and another on class C. Just make them both either 10.x or 192.x

When configuring them with static IP's make sure to specify the router's IP as the Default Gateway and then make sure you set each one on the same IP block and same subnet.

For example:
    Laptop: IP 192.168.0.3 Subnet: 255.255.0.0 Gateway: 192.168.0.1 <--this is whatever your router's ip address is)
    Desktop: IP 192.168.0.4 Subnet: 255.255.0.0 Gateway: same as laptop

Try it and see if it works.

Also, what do you mean by "communicate with each other"? More specifically?

3. fimchick

Oh, if I wasn't clear in the first line -- even though I'm not sure why you would want them to have different IP blocks, even if you told me a good reason, it still won't work :) They are two different network id's and they won't see each other. =]

4. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

Cannot send/receive files to/from any of the two machines in manual IP config as opposed to an automatic IP obtained from the DHCP server. In other words, they can't see each other on the network.

5. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

uhm the subnet for 192.168.xxx.xxx is 255.255.255.0 unless you have enough machines to warrant a class B subnet of 65,025 hosts....

6. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

Something like this should work:

Desktop
    192.168.0.1 (Router IP)

Laptop
    192.168.0.1 (Router IP)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  7. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

My LAN config (if manual) would be:

Router IP:192.168.x.1

Desktop: 192.168.x.10 Laptop: 192.168.x.11
    Sumask 255.255.255.0 Submask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 192.168.x.1 Gateway: 192.168.x.1

DNS Server: ?? (I put router IP)

Workgroups are the same and the two machines can see each other if in auto obtain IP from DHCP server, but they can't if configured manually.

8. fimchick

Err, lol, you're right, sorry :D

9. muzikool

From the command line, ipconfig /all will give you your DNS servers if you want to add them manually.

10. ThePatriot

ThePatriot -=[BOHICA!]=- Political User

Might want to keep in mind that some routers, DLink for example, will proxy name servers if you simply put the routers lan ip in as the DNS number. However, some will not, Sonicwall for example. Name services will only work correctly with these if the client pc is assigned a DHCP address from the router, or the actual public ip address of the DNS server is configured manually on each client.

11. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

No it won't. You put the IPs on a different subnet from the gateway (1 vs. 0). Bad idea. ;)

12. muzikool

Oops... fixed!

I'm too used to putting in 1.x, 2.x or 3.x. :nervous:

13. dave holbon

dave holbon Moderator

I’m having similar problem with a switch except the other way round it works manually (sometimes) but on automatic settings no network at all and very long boot times. How do I find the IP address of the switch?

:)

14. Zedric

Switches don't have IPs. No configuration.

15. dave holbon

dave holbon Moderator

So what’s sitting on 192.168.0.1 then I wonder, as Windows told me when I set my address to this that it was already in use, pinging it just times out?

:)

16. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

Our switches at coreix have IP's can ssh to them and all sorts :D

17. Zedric

Yeah, but that's no desktop switches. :p Big switches (managable layer 2 or 3) have configuration, although the term "switch" is rather strange to use in these cases (at least for layer 3).

dave holbon: Good question. If it times out it either means that there's nothing there or it has a firewall that drops ping. If you use auto, do you even get an IP? I take it you don't have a router?

18. dave holbon

dave holbon Moderator

No, but can I telenet it?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2005
  19. Zedric

You can't telnet something that doesn't have an IP. And why would you want to if there's nothing to configure?

If something indeed has that ip and, whatever it may be, has telnet configuration, then by all means, telnet away. :) But it won't be the switch.

What type of switch is it? Brand, model?