major lag prob

P

p8ntballer

right now i got a ****ty system and when i try to play Half life on my cable connection its lags so bad..

but when i start up aol 8.0 it has perfect ping no lag .. why this happen? I recently got aol cancled now i cant play any games.

What will fix this lag problem other then aol?

playing on good servers will also reduce/eliminate lag...

Lag can come from several things:

How your isp handles data packets. Some ISP's you can't play games at all. Call your cable isp and ask about problem.

How much traffic is on your isp. This varies a lot with cable connections. If many people on your cable trunk have internet and do a lot of downloads and uploads you will get delays in your data to the game server. What is even worse,the delays will be random so your ping will jump around. Try gaming away from peak hours. 6:00Pm to 10:00 Pm are very heavy loading on cable systems.

You may have a bad cable connection (the actual cable inside the house or burried in the back yard). The local cable company had to dig up my back yard and replace a trunk cable 3 years ago. It was damaged and causing lost bandwidth to several houses.

You may have a bad modem. A friend of mine had to get a replacement modem from his cable company.

Open a DOS window and type ping -n 50 ispname where ispname is the name of your isp server mine is www.swbell.net

this will ping your isp server. If the number is over 120 or jumps up and down a lot you have a problem with your isp.

Very good is 80 or below
good is 80-120
usable for games is 120-250
over 250 game perfromance will suffer

hey

i have a question about that ping command. I have a d link 704 p with 4 computers and a 768 Kb connection and whenever I try to ping a computer on my network or a website or something I always get "Request Timed Out", do u know why?? cause I dont have any problems with my connection at all.

have u tried other servers? that's your best bet.

other than that, you might try changing your mtu and rwin settings.

go to this link and click on tools.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back