Major Computer Problem ( Sound Blaster audigy + asus)

P

psx2000

I have a major problem...

Ok I just bought a ASUS P4S8X

Now i load all my devices in there.

FIRE WIRE CARD
RADEON 9700
NIC CARD
Ultra 133 Card
DAZZLE PCI CAPTURE CARD

and Finally my Sound Blasters Audigy Platnium...

Now here is the problem when i try to boot with the sound blasters installed the computer hangs.

It wont even go to bios.

But if i take out the sound blaster audigy card it runs perfectly and boots up.

My specs are

2.8 Pentium 4
3 sticks (512mb) of DDR 2700
200 ( 3 of them ) Gig Mator 8 mb cache
Radeon 9700 PRO
Sound Blaster AUdigy Platnium
PIONEER DVD-R AO4
TDK 48 CD-R

Is there anything im doing wrong?
Also is there any site that will guide me step by step on the best settings for my Bios?

I wanted to get the the most power out of my proccessor and memory.

Board will not support 3 sticks of DD2700 memory, if you use 3 sticks they will work at 2100 and not 2700 beside being less tolerant to errors. Move the SB Audigy Card to PCI slot 5 and make sure you nic is on PCI 2, alos unplug FaceBay for SBAudigyPlatnium

Good luck

I think that may be the problem also. Try taking out one of the memory sticks, and booting like that. See what it does.

Thanks for the tips i will use them.

I got one last problem.

My Radeon 9700 crashes when ever i run a game.

i downloaded the newest offical drivers from ATIs web site and still have the same problem.

Any suggestions on the problem might be?
Also any sites have step by step setup for bios with a p4 2.8 and that board? The reason i ask is i think the crashes are BIOS related.

Thanks.

If there is a " Default " or " Fail Safe " setting in your BIOS; try setting it to that and see if it works. Also; is it just one game; or all games?

i think it sounds like a power problem...whats you PSU rated at?

it could be a BIOS problem, have you tried resetting the bios? just leave the battery and psu uplugged for about 5 minutes and put them back in and try and boot up again < i knew someone that had that problem before, the bios settings were screwed!

Well i reset the bios and still nothing.

The video card works now though.

As for power supply im using a ANTEC 550 Watt Power Supply.

And bios running on default.

Is there any forums for the ASUS 8X P4 board?

If so i could go there and check out if others had this problem etc.

Posted by DIEOT
Board will not support 3 sticks of DD2700 memory, if you use 3 sticks they will work at 2100 and not 2700 beside being less tolerant to errors. Move the SB Audigy Card to PCI slot 5 and make sure you nic is on PCI 2, alos unplug FaceBay for SBAudigyPlatnium

Good luck

Actually DIEOT, as to what I read in the Owner's Manual it does support 3 sticks of DD2700 memory, up to 1GB each in all three (3) Slots up to 3GB total. Capter 2 *Hardware Information* (Page 17 of Chapter 2) Section 2.5 *System Memory*, 2.5.1 *Overview*. "These sockets support up to 3GB system memory using 184-pin unbuffered non-ECC PC2700/PC2100/PC1600"
Capter 2 *Hardware Information* (Page 18 of Chapter 2) Section 2.5 *System Memory*, 2.5.2 *Memory configurations*. "You may install any DDR DIMMs with 64MB, 128MB, 256MB, 512MB and 1GB densities into the three DIMM sockets."

But what I saw in the Specs online is that it does have an option for On Board Audio.
psx2000, Does your MoBo have the optinal On Board Audio??? If so did you disable it in the BIOS??? There may be a conflict if they are both working.
Just a though.

well just cause the manual says it works doesnt mean it does

dont know if the chipset is the same but i have read the 3 ddr problem before

also have read lots of complaints that you need ver 1.3 of the radeon 9700 to do 8x.

i am not quite sure how to identify what version you have.

also the power supply might be a problem

make sure you have lots of power

lots

and dont let you hard drives power down.

you probably dont allready though.

and ati's suggestion of putting it on the same cable of the hard drive i wouldnt believe is the best put it on its own cable if you can.

i have had problems with a dip in power a long the cable suggesting that that much power cant be pulled through taht gauge wire cause it only happened when on the same cable.

but if you put it on a cable with a bunch of fans on it make sure its the first cable to touch the real cabl;e just incase those fans have sucky pass through cables.

only one game or all games

you did uninstall the last drivers first right

what game/s?

try forcing it to 4x to see if that works

My video card seems to work ok now.

I have disabled the the onboard sound ( i think i did)

I wish there was a faq on the best bios settings so i could make sure i got things correct.

Thanks everyone so far for helping me out.

i think i read somewhere that you can only use 1 ddr 2700, 2 ddr 2100, or 3 ddr 1600... i can't remember where though... also, the manual says UP TO, so that could mean that it doesn't support up to 3 gb of 2700... just a thought... you could try pulling out 2 sticks of ram see what happens... it won't hurt to try

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back