mail server

brocher

OSNN Senior Addict
I was wondering if it would be possible to have me own mail server set up on my pc that i could access from the internet and what software would i need to do this. The address would be something like this:

joe@joebloggs.com

yes - is the quick answer...

Software? Very much down to personal preference, I'd recommend the one built into Mozilla, or maybe the Firefox thunderbird, plenty of people happy enough with Outlook Express if you want to go with the M$ herd though.

Before all that though you'll need to register your domain (joebloggs.com in your example) and, by the sounds of it, you are going to need to read up on POP3 and SMTP which are the two components to that....

If you want an easier introduction to the mechanics of it that you can do right away sign up for a web based email account like Yahoo! and they have the option to configure it for POP3.

Ask more specific questions and you'll get more specific answers as you go along, but, like I said, the answer is yes! ;)

Mainframeguy said:
yes - is the quick answer...

Software? Very much down to personal preference, I'd recommend the one built into Mozilla, or maybe the Firefox thunderbird, plenty of people happy enough with Outlook Express if you want to go with the M$ herd though.

Before all that though you'll need to register your domain (joebloggs.com in your example) and, by the sounds of it, you are going to need to read up on POP3 and SMTP which are the two components to that....

If you want an easier introduction to the mechanics of it that you can do right away sign up for a web based email account like Yahoo! and they have the option to configure it for POP3.

Ask more specific questions and you'll get more specific answers as you go along, but, like I said, the answer is yes! ;)

As far as I know, Mozilla, Thunderbird, and OE are mail readers and cannot act as mail servers.

There are a couple things you will need to know about if you want to know about running your own mailserver (at least, if you want to run it right).

1) Learn DNS - in particular, you should know at the very least how DNS works and what MX records are..

2) Learn SMTP - at least, find some SMTP server software. SMTP is the protocol that sends email from server to server around the world over the Internet. Things like Sendmail, IIS/SMTP, Exchange, etc..

3) You will need some software that can host your mailboxes. Of course, you could always configure your SMTP server locally to deliver to another mailbox like gmail and/or hotmail, or other 3rd party. For example, you could have an email address for "joe@joebloggs.com" be sent to your local SMTP server and then have your local SMTP server forward the email to a 3rd party email account.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back