Machine code

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by drgn75, Mar 6, 2006.

1. drgn75

drgn75 OSNN One Post Wonder

I am running windows XP, and I'm wondering how I can find out what my machine code is? Any Help?

2. omg its nlm

omg its nlm lvl 17 Hax Folding Team

machine code? You refering to XP product number?

3. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Product key? If your computer was purchased from an OEM then there should be a COA some place on the computer.

If your computer was built and you purchased the OS then hopefully you saved the sleeve that it came with.

4. jpom

jpom OSNN Addict

If you are indeed looking for your xp product key and you don't have an oem sticker on the case or still have your sleeve then there are numerous programs out there that will grab it out of the registry for you. Personally I use http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml.

5. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

I could say it is 8086 family - but you would have no idea what I was telling you! Machine Code usually means the actual code beneath assembly level.,....

Anyway - I think what you mean is CPU ID -try clicking on "My Computer"! :)

6. drgn75

Yep, I found the sticker on the computer and I think that is what I am looking for. Thanks for all the input.

7. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

I took a class on that about 4 years ago now.

If I ever see you mention that ever again, I'm going to hunt you down and give you a solid wet noodle whipping :D

8. Mainframeguy

I mention it about every thousand posts or so - looking forward to some noodles here, can I have stir fry? ;)

9. drgn75

Originally Posted by Mainframeguy
    I could say it is 8086 family - but you would have no idea what I was telling you! Machine Code usually means the actual code beneath assembly level.,....

Anyway - I think what you mean is CPU ID -try clicking on "My Computer"! :)

OK, thanks for thinking I'm completely ignorant about the 8086 family, however, that's a discussion for another time. What I want to know is:
    Is there a way to know what your Machine Code (that you are talking about, not the CPU ID) is?

10. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

machine code

The representation of a computer program which is actually
    read and interpreted by the computer.

what mainframe said ;)

11. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

drgn75, as you can see "machine code" was clearly explained. So it becomes obvious that you are either asking for the wrong thing or we are confused. Please explain more clearly what you are looking for.

If in fact you are looking for the Product Key (which you have found) then we are all set. If you are looking for the Product ID you can get that by right clicking My Computer, clicking Properties, and looking at the registered to info OR you can run command and type in "systeminfo" and press enter.

12. celticfan11

celticfan11 Moderator

hahah the first thing i tought of when i read the post title; "hmm i wonder if derek is thinking the same thing I am when i first read this post title." I guess you were. That class was brutal, so was the teacher.

13. celticfan11

celticfan11 Moderator

Are you loking for the actual commands the CPU is running underneath all the GUI? If so Why would you want to know this? Just curious.

14. kcnychief

I <3 Ed Bigos!

NOT! :p

I remember someone asking him a question about why the registers and stacks are the way they are. He stood there for a second, threw a marker across the room, and said...

"Why did that marker fly across the room, because it just does"

Real smart guy, bad teacher.

15. Mainframeguy

doesn't sound real smart to me either.... sounds like a bad dumb teacher.... Ya see I woulda said something like "I COULD explain that, now who wants to stay in class until next week?"....

Also - sorry if the original poster (drgn?) felt ignorant from my post - I was just saying what the thread title meant to me, and it sure did cause some confusion.

So - are we straight now? IE DRGN - do you have what you need here?

16. kcnychief

Sad part is, at the time I thought he was the smartest person I have ever met :s

No more thread hijacking, I promise :D

17. drgn75

Yep, I got it figured out. Thanks.