If I was to buy a macbook pro...

4GB 667 DDR2 - 2x2GB SO-DIMMs
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Accessory Kit
Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
MacBook Pro 17-inch Widescreen Display
250GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm

Later on in the year, years where new things come out, can put more RAM and Drive space and everything in that, if that happens, would I be able to go to Apple and be like upgrade it to blah blah? Or am I stuck with what I got?

Mind you I have never bought a computer from a company before.

You would be stuck with the amount of RAM, as that is the maximum that the chipset in that laptop will support. People are speculating that if you get ram with 4 GB's per stick, you might be able to get it up to 8 GB, but it is unlikely.

Drive space you can walk into an Apple Store and ask them to replace it with a new drive (you will have to purchase one from them!), if you would like to replace it with your own drive, find an Apple Authorized Repair shop, and have them do it, since they can do it without voiding your warranty, and don't need to abide by Apple's internal rules specifying they are not allowed to place a customers brought in hard drive into their machines. (I specifically asked about this, as I am really planning on getting an SSD).

You'd be stuck with about everything else. You could get third-party replacements for the SuperDrive to support newer things, but that is up to you to figure out. The CPU is soldered to the board.

Also, as far as I know the 17 inch screens are not LED backlit yet, so you might want to consider going 15 inch if you want longer battery life.

If you are looking for upgradeability, and not for mobility (I consider 17 inch WAY too large to walk around with), look at a Mac Pro, they can be upgraded easier, and generally you can do it yourself without voiding warranty.

Yea I was looking at the mac pros and thats what I really want. Yet I found that they are much more expensive, really if I get what I want in them. The macbook pro came to around 4500 with CS3, and the mac pro was 7000 - 15000 depending on how much I put in it. Obviously I would not go extreme and pay 15000 but still much more expensive.

At the same time it is what I need, not what I want. So the mac pro's are more upgradable, motherboard and everything? Or just more then the macbook pro?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back