mac super drive???

Discussion in 'Macintosh' started by canadian_divx, Jul 27, 2003.

1. canadian_divx

canadian_divx Canadian_divx

does anyone know where i can get just a mac superdrive and not the computer

2. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

I've come across online stores (UK) that sell Apple parts before.
    Try putting "Apple Spares" or things like that into Google. :)

3. SmkyB

SmkyB Guest

Are you talking about the DVD burner?

4. SmkyB

SmkyB Guest

The DVD burner "SuperDrive" was nothing more than the original Pioneer DVR-A04, now that the DVR-A06 is out they maybe starting to use it. The Pioneer drive can be bought at just about any online computer store, I prefer newegg.com. The new DVR-A06 is the newest drive and it supports writing DVD-R/W, DVD+R/W, and all cds.

5. canadian_divx

i thought the superdrive was a cd butner, dvd burner, dvd player, that ys why they only sell the one drive, that is waht we were told by people who have macs, but arent wanting to sell it

6. canadian_divx

SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW); writes DVD-R discs at 2x speed, reads DVDs at 6x speed, writes CD-R discs at 8x speed, writes CD-RW discs at 4x speed, reads CDs at 24x speed

7. SPeedY_B

Yeah, DVDr's tend to write cd's too, and obviously will play both cd and dvd media too.

I'd forgotten that the superdrive was just an A04. Basically its just a plain old DVD-r drive, but apple have decided to give it a new name because its in their machines.

8. SmkyB

SmkyB Guest

Also, so they could charge a PREMIUM for it. I have seen very few reasons to spend the extra money on Mac.

9. SPeedY_B

OSX..yummy :D

10. canadian_divx

so any DVD burer can do that?? ok then waht is the best one that is as slim as possbale and cost efective????????????? anyone know of any?

11. SmkyB

SmkyB Guest

What do you mean by slim as possible? All internal dvd or cd burners must fit into a 5 1/4" bay. As for the brand, that is up to you, I prefer the sony dual format drives, but Pioneer and a host of other companies are making dual format drives for about the same cost. I would not spend much more than $235 for the drive. I definitely recommend you getting the dual format drives, they write DVD-R and DVD+R, that way you have your bases covered for compatabilty issues(ie. set-top DVD players) and you don't have to worry about which format becomes more of the standard.

12. canadian_divx

13. SmkyB

SmkyB Guest

That is what I was thinking. Here is the only one that I liked that I could find, supposedly Pioneer released on after the COMDEX show in 2002 but couldn't find it. The model is the Toshiba DR-R6012. I don't know anything about this store, just a good display of the product.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/laptopupgrade/insldvcodr.html

14. SmkyB

SmkyB Guest

15. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

i think he's looking for an external one... hence requesting a "slim" one.

16. SPeedY_B

If it was external there would be no restrictions on space :rolleyes: I would imagine that it's a case mod into a really small case.. or other form of box representing a case :p

17. SmkyB

SmkyB Guest

I agree, especially since he said it was for a case mod. I haven't seen to many external drives used for case mods, but if you could mold and blend an external enclosure to a caseit may look pretty cool.

18. canadian_divx

yea this is going to be attached to the back side of an lcd monitor, i cant say much about waht the mod is becase i am working on it for a company but i want it to be as low costing but good aspossable becase i need to buy the parts first off and if it all works then they pay me for them.i just need it to be as slim as possable and if there is one out there that is the best for the price and can do everything then that would be what i am looking for

19. SmkyB

SmkyB Guest

I guess the mobo will also be fitted in to a custom case surrounding the LCD, making an all-in-one type system. If not are you going to have IDE cables going from the PC case to the monitor and drive?

20. canadian_divx

ah that is annouther thing, how long can an ide cable be???? origional plan was to have pc and monitor 2 parts and cd mounted in between. but how long can an ide be?