Mac OSX 10.4 Rumours.

Discussion in 'Macintosh' started by SPeedY_B, May 30, 2004.

1. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

MacShrine have posted some rumours regarding the upcoming release of Mac OSX 10.4, which is set to be previewed at this years WWDC at the end of June. However I'm not overly convinced by some of the thing's which they have posted..

Blob? Box? What? I must of missed those.
    However I am guessing that they are talking about some off-screen buffer style objects to do with where the windows are "stored" when Expose'd, at least for the box, I haven't a clue what the heck a blue blob has to do with anything (may need to look this one up). Not overly sure why you would want this enabled as a 'feature' to be honest. Sounds false to me.

Obviously this rumour is more viable, due to the fact it's actually been stated by a reliable source, sounds good. I really don't care if it's free or not though, either way I'll be getting it :)

iChat3 will be launched, that's inevitable, whether or not it will actually be at the WWDC will only be seen in time.
    With regards to a new iSight, I'm not convinced. No doubt that a new iSight will be launched, I don't think it will be this soon though, there's not a lot that can really be improved with the current model. A few things to hi-light though:
    1. What do they mean by driverless? I never installed anything to get my iSight working and it works with every app that a web-cam should.
    2. New design? Considering the current iSight was designed to match the G5 PowerMac style, unless they're set to launch a new G5, I have doubts about a new design.
    3. I hope to god they aren't even considering putting the iChat logo anywhere on it, it looks perfect as it is now, and I think that putting an iChat logo on it would certainly deter mac users from buying it, and definitely windows users (It works on XP you know! ;P)

Sounds good, Apple have had a "Remote desktop" app for a looong time now, however it was aimed at more corporate/network setups than just "home" use, a nice basic remote desktop feature will certainly be welcomed by all, and the fact it uses the cube is great! I hope this rumour turns out true.

I can't take a feature called "piles" seriously, sorry.
    Admittedly I've seen screenshots (and even videos) of this feature from back before I even owned a mac, and it's constantly been hailed as the 'next big feature' yet never seems to have made it into the o/s. So we'll have to wait and see if it does this time.

Great! They'll need to rename it from "DVD Player" though won't they? I believe that "Media player" is a taken name though :p
    It makes sense to ship a multi-function player with the o/s though, not too sure about making quicktime just a codec though, it would make sense as it could be integrated into other apps easier that way (Including on the Win32 and *nix platforms!) but Apple do actually make profit from retailing the Quicktime pro player.. We'll see.

That's it, opinion over :p

2. ~bk

~bk I Political User

Interesting rumors.

3. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

Thanks for sharing...you guys are getting some nice new features.

4. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

I like the last one...an improved "DVD Player" app sounds like a nice addition. If it comes close to VLC in supported formats etc., it'll just be the best video player ever. [​IMG]

Remote Desktop also looks good. Just wondering, since VNC is cross-platform, wouldn't it be possible to run the VNC server on a Mac host and allow Windows/Linux users to access it?

5. SPeedY_B

They'll still need to rename it though, can't have "DVD Player" playng my avi's etc, it's wrong :p I use VLC for all that anyway :)

As for the remote desktop, the current product is here, but that's a more professional app, I gather they're just going to make it more VNC like.

As for VNC, there's this: http://www.redstonesoftware.com/vnc.html ; I've never actually used it though. :)

6. NetRyder

Oh my! That's a whole seperate beast at $299 [​IMG]

7. SPeedY_B

Possibly worth it though if you have a big network of macs you need to keep an eye on.

8. NetRyder

Yeah, seems more like a complete remote management suite rather than just a remote control/assistance kind of app, aimed more at network admins than home/casual users, really. Guess VNC would be the way to go at this point for the latter.