Mac OS X vs. WinXP Pro

M

mavis

A funny article I just read... though I'm sure it won't quell the Mac fans out there (and I'm sure most of them don't bother coming here anyway) :) I thought it was interesting.

mavis

Article

Interesting !

And you cant play DVD's on a Mac , i didnt know that

thats a good article , thanks for sharing it

Who was smoking crack when they wrote that checklist?!?!

DVD work fine on mac's, there was a problem with older G3's not playing DVD correctly due to badly written drivers, but they played fine on G4's and G3's that didn't use onboard video

My friend is a strict mac addict, won't touch a PC and lemme tell you watching DVD's on his Ibook is pretty damn sweet

Originally posted by Qumahlin
Who was smoking crack when they wrote that checklist?!?!

DVD work fine on mac's, there was a problem with older G3's not playing DVD correctly due to badly written drivers, but they played fine on G4's and G3's that didn't use onboard video

My friend is a strict mac addict, won't touch a PC and lemme tell you watching DVD's on his Ibook is pretty damn sweet

I believe that checklist was simply comparing "out of the box" features - it seems that DVD playback is not possible with OSX (although it is possible with OSX.1) out of the box. Of course I cannot verify this as I do not have a Mac... :)

As for DVD playback, I'm sure it does looks great on some Macs (like your friend's) but then again it looks GREAT on some PC's too (like mine) - my video card (Radeon 8500) has an onboard hardware DVD decoder, so the image quality/speed is amazing. However I would venture to say that DVD playback is largely hardware dependent so it probably doesn't look quite as good on the vast majority of PCs (which are using Nvidia graphics cards)...

Lastly, my personal opinion of Macs is not based on hearsay but on my experience with them... My ex-girlfriend's parents had an iMac and can I just say, it crashed more than any computer I've ever seen!! It was amazing, I'd be doing something simple like surfing the internet or playing one of the (included) games, and it would crash, HARD - required at least one reboot each time, although often it had to be rebooted like two or three times. This was an "out of the box" configuration, running software that was packaged with it... Later, I was able to use Macs quite a bit at school too, which had a large Mac lab (as well as four large PC labs) :D and those Macs were much more stable than my ex's parents' Mac- but then again the PCs were also stable.

In my personal experience (computers I've actually owned) I've gone through two OSs (Win98SE and XP Pro) and countless hardware variations - from my original Slot A Athlon 600MHz with Voodoo3 3000 AGP and Aureal SQ2500, to Slot A 950MHz with a Radeon 7200 and SBLive 5.1, to my current rig, a completely overhauled Socket A AthlonXP with a Radeon 8500, blah blah blah... :) I have NEVER had stability problems with either OS or any hardware configuration, in fact for the past 2.5 years, the only time my system has ever crashed is when I overclock the hell out of it (which is of course my fault - not the hardware/OS's fault).

That is why I personally dislike Macs, and love PCs. I'm sure other people have different opinions, and different experiences, but it doesn't change what I have experienced first hand. OSX might be good for some people, but when I think of stable platforms, the LAST thing that comes to mind are Macs.

mavis

ps and WHAT THE HELL is with that ONE BUTTON MOUSE??!! :) I'm gonna go spend $10 000USD on the new dual processor G4 and get a friggin one button mouse with it??!! My a$$!!! lol

I don't know much at all about macs, but the previous post IS VERY INTERSETING, as for the most part, the thing most mac users brag about (to me) is the stability of the thing, I of course just listen and nod, since as I said, I personally have never compared the two in a long term competition...that said, I have used macs for immediate reasons, and quite frankly, it and windows work about the same for just about sverything I needed both for, so, IT'S JUST WHAT YOU STARTED WITH THAT'S BEST , AND THAT'S IT

Originally posted by dealer
IT'S JUST WHAT YOU STARTED WITH THAT'S BEST , AND THAT'S IT

lol - true!! It is just a matter of opinion anyway huh? :) I really hate it when people get caught up in the eternal mac vs. win battle, I mean I have my opinion but that's exactly what it is: an opinion.

:)

mavis

Oh yeah DVD looks marvelous on my dell laptop too...but it's a blatant lie...Mac OSX supports DVD right out of the box unless you are running a G3 processor with a old ATI embedded chipset...that is the only condition where DVD does not work..I know this cause my friend has yet to upgrade to 10.1 and watches dvd all the time lol

hmm... well maybe that site was wrong then. That sucks :( Are you sure your friend didn't have to install any third party drivers/apps/etc or get some sort of update?? Just curious.

Oh well it looked good while it lasted :)

mavis

postive...his Ibook was brand new when OS X first came out, and it has out of the box DVD writing/watching :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back