Mac Mini, iWork, and iLife 05.

prodj88 said:
i don't know if any1 answered this but can u change the video graphics card on that thing? it looks like a really nice pc. maybe something i would get for college or as an extra pc :)
How good are you at sodering? ;)

Yeah looking at the pics doesn't look like changing the graphics card would be as easy as swaping RAM might be. Thats if you can get the thing open w/out breaking it. :)

X-Istence said:
.. At that price, there is no excuse for people not to switch.

Well look a the specs : ONE slot of RAM, the 4200 RPM Hard drive

Sure it's cheap, they sell it at 629$ in Canada.. like under 800$ with taxes and shipping (i've pre-ordered it 2 weeks ago and then cancelled later.. because i'm a poweruser), in my opinion it's not worth it right now.. make it a like bigger to stuck 2 slot of ram and faster hd and then i'll switch.. or save for a powerbook/g5 :rolleyes:

ep0niks, you are looking at it for the wrong reasons. :shakes head:

it is for people that need a machine to do day to day things, like check mail, and whatnot.

Not for people wanting to have 5 GB of ram, 7394328943 GB HD with 6838 MB onchip cache at 10,000,000 RPM's.

The Mac mini only has one RAM slot but can hold 1GB of RAM. Why would you need more on a machine w/ it's specs? Actually on even a "good" Win box 1GB of RAM should do you fine.

No one needs more than the 256mb that comes with it to be quite honest. Most people these days just like the 'comfort' of 512mb, and most users on these boards are just whores (you know you are) and will have 1gb, 1.5gb or even 2gb of memory, and at the end of the day, the only time that memory is ever used (note: NOT full, USED) is when gaming.

I used both my PowerMac and iBook with the standard 256mb of memory for months before bothering to throw some more in, if it was badly needed I'm sure I would of bought memory within the first week of owning both machines.

prodj88 said:
well i need 512mb to play doom3 really smooth but 1gb and higher is over doing it
Just agree'd with what I said. Remove the Doom3 part, and you don't even need 512mb.

People have a tendency to have far more powerful hardware than they need.

SPeedY_B said:
No one needs more than the 256mb that comes with it to be quite honest. Most people these days just like the 'comfort' of 512mb, and most users on these boards are just whores (you know you are) and will have 1gb, 1.5gb or even 2gb of memory, and at the end of the day, the only time that memory is ever used (note: NOT full, USED) is when gaming.
Says the guy with 2GB of RAM in his PowerMac. Whore! Just pulling your leg, man... :p

I need 512MB, at least...trust me, I do. :D I've tried running with 256MB of RAM, and while it's ok, I wouldn't want to use it for very long. The jump to 512MB makes a big difference when multi-tasking. On the other hand, I rarely do stuff that makes me wish I had 1GB or more (not playing games helps...heh).

NetRyder said:
You knows it :p

NetRyder said:
I need 512MB, at least...trust me, I do. :D I've tried running with 256MB of RAM, and while it's ok, I wouldn't want to use it for very long. The jump to 512MB makes a big difference when multi-tasking. On the other hand, I rarely do stuff that makes me wish I had 1GB or more (not playing games helps...heh).
Yeah, I personally wouldn't run with sub-512mb either for the simple comfort factor, but you've got to remember the Mini isn't aimed at people like us, more people who just use the net/mail/occasionally watch DVD's maybe. However for those who DO use their machines that little bit more demanding, then there's still the option to wang 1GB in there.

I have been using my iBook with 256 MB ram in it since i got it. Which was May of 2004.

Sometimes when i have a ton of apps open i do feel the need for just some extra ram, but other than that, i never feel as if i need it. Which is why i have held off on buying it.

ep0niks said:
Well look a the specs : ONE slot of RAM, the 4200 RPM Hard drive

Sure it's cheap, they sell it at 629$ in Canada.. like under 800$ with taxes and shipping (i've pre-ordered it 2 weeks ago and then cancelled later.. because i'm a poweruser), in my opinion it's not worth it right now.. make it a like bigger to stuck 2 slot of ram and faster hd and then i'll switch.. or save for a powerbook/g5 :rolleyes:

http://personal.x-istence.com/notforyou

Well I did it. I ordered my Mac mini this morning. Now it's going to be hell waiting for it to arrive. :( Has anyone else ordered from apple.com before and know if when they say 3-4wks do they really mean it?

Congrats on getting a mini! I had to wait about a month for my iPod mini when I ordered it last January. Like you, I ordered mine shortly after they were released, so I wouldn't be surprised if you have to wait the 3-4 weeks. :(

When I got my iBook it came with 256MB of ram, tbh I think that was fine. I did however go and get 1gb of extra ram for it. Reasons....
1) omgwftbbqw00t my laptop has more ram than my desktop
2) java is a whore (not always a memory whore, but it is always a whore, bit like SPeedY_B*)
3) everynow and then I do a bit of large image editting and then its a good idea to have a lot of ram. ie Adobe recommend 1MB of ram for each MB of the image which you are working on. Also I have projects this year which may require the use of a DV cam and iMovie, so again, more ram is handy

*may not be true ;)

Thats what I was afraid to here muzikool. Oh well I guess ... better late then never. :) I'll probably find myself checking shipping status daily hehe.

Xie said:
Well I did it. I ordered my Mac mini this morning. Now it's going to be hell waiting for it to arrive. :( Has anyone else ordered from apple.com before and know if when they say 3-4wks do they really mean it?
Yes, unfortunately. Demand for these has been huuuuuge. I'm still awaiting my iPod shuffle ordered around 14th Jan (shall be with me "on or before 25th feb" ... bah :D)

Geffy said:
2) java is a whore (not always a memory whore, but it is always a whore, bit like SPeedY_B*)
*may not be true ;)

It is true :p

SPeedY_B said:
Yes, unfortunately. Demand for these has been huuuuuge. I'm still awaiting my iPod shuffle ordered around 14th Jan (shall be with me "on or before 25th feb" ... bah :D)
Yeah they were all crazy about the shuffle when I was @ Apple store last time. Like the Mac mini you don't understand how small that thing is till you see (lady that rang out my iPod stuff was wearing one around her neck). :classic:

Xie said:
Thats what I was afraid to here muzikool. Oh well I guess ... better late then never. :) I'll probably find myself checking shipping status daily hehe.

The good thing about expecting it to take that long is that if it comes sooner, then it will be early! :)

muzikool said:
The good thing about expecting it to take that long is that if it comes sooner, then it will be early! :)
Indeed. I'm so going to do the happy dance when it arrives. :classic:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back