Mac G5 or AMD 64

G5 all the way, baby!

I use Gentoo Linux and Mac OS X on my iBook, and the G3 pumps out a fair bit of speed. The G5 would be an awesome machine, especially hooked up to dual 20 inch flatscreen cinema displays :)

I'd take the G5 without a doubt.

Reason why...I've already worked with the x86 platform for many years now. I've only played with OS X on a G4 for a little while, and it does seem like an interesting OS. I especially like the fact that it has a UNIX backend. So I could have the best of both worlds - OS X's superb UI for day-to-day stuff, and the power of *nix when in geek-mode. No need to dual-boot either :D

Besides, I have yet to see any displays that are even close to Apple's cinematic screens as far as design and clarity are concerned.

I totally agree.

Apple's best move was when they based the new OS on Unix. I find the "Aqua" interface a tad slow on my machine, but if you had twin G5's powering that sucker, you could do some serious damage :p

Originally posted by lieb39
I disagree SPeedY_B. I think that there new (or old plan) is to get PC users through many ways, including art. The OS is a art, the case is art, the montior, jeeze, even the keyboard is. For that reason, me and serveal other people I have spoken to, want a mac.

-lieb39

the Macs look nicer but I'm still would choose the AMD64 because of it's better support for games and other stuff, because in the end, all that Macs are good for is what? Web Browsing? Calculator? Word Processing? their 64 bit power is simply not necessary and all they can really offer is good looks IMO.

Originally posted by Quick Reply
Macs are good for is what? Web Browsing? Calculator? Word Processing?
And looking pretty. :p
Welcome to the forums :)

I dunno it's a tough choice. I'd have to say a G5. Why? Many before have already said why. :)

Well AMD because its a pc and it can do 99% more things then MAC (things being games and software other then editing which pc does also!) and there in lies the problem there two completely different systems sure they have 64bit arch. but thats pretty much were they stop being alike. and since most ppl are pc users you would guess that most will take the AMD of the G5 nowif I already had an athlon 64 system I would take the G5 in a second. doesn't mean I would use it much, but I would take it. It plays DVD's right? haha I hope it can. would be a nice system to watch movies on.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back