MAC address

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by skydog, Aug 28, 2003.

1. skydog

skydog Guest

Firstly, I hope that this is the correct forum. Now to show how very little I know. My ISP (charter pipeline) left a message on my machine wanting my MAC address. What is it and why would they want it?

2. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

Your ISP would never ask for your MAC because that information is available to them when you connect. Do not reply to it. I suggest you disable the messenger service.

START / RUN
    type in "services.msc" (without quotes)
    Double click on MESSENGER service
    Set "Startup Type" to "Disabled"
    Then STOP the service or just reboot.

You ISP would never contact you in such a way.

3. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Yes, you posted in the right forum. :)

If you do want to find out your MAC address, go to Start>Run>cmd and type "ipconfig -all" at the prompt.
    Look for "Physical address" under your network card, and you'll find an alphanumberic address in the form of XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX. That's your MAC address.

However, if you received the alert in the form of a Messenger Service popup, I highly doubt it's actually from your ISP.

4. skydog

skydog Guest

It was on my answering machine. Also on my caller ID. I did re-format and do a system restore yesterday, could it be related?

5. NetRyder

Well, if you did get a call from Charter, just do what I mentioned in my previous post, and give the MAC address to them on the phone.

6. skydog

skydog Guest

Thanks all. I will give it to them. Maybe I was just paranoid. I'm just quite leery of Charter. They're out to get me 'ya know.

7. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

The MAC address won't change if you reformat, only if you change the hardware.

8. NetRyder

Right...the MAC address is assigned to your network card. Unless you physically change that, the MAC address isn't going to change.

9. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

I would call and ask why they want it.

10. IBraineater

IBraineater Guest

nothing wrong in giving your MAC address to your ISP. I have optonline and if you use the software to make an account the software they provide you asks for the MAC address and they take the MAC address and keep it with your registration info. nothing bad or wierd is gonna happen.

11. skydog

skydog Guest

They called back yesterday. They said they had a new computer system and my info got lost in the shuffle. I just gave it to them. I thought if I didn't that they might raise my bill again. They're good at that.

12. lechtard

lechtard Guest

To find it easier just look on the back of your modem, if you have an external of course .. but then the ISP should tell you how to get it also ...