Looking to Firmware flash in WinXP...but app wants DOS !!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Phantom_24, Apr 14, 2002.

1. Phantom_24

Phantom_24 Guest

OK....here's the scoop !!

Loking to upgrade my friends firmware on a CD-RW that came with his HP system. The drive is marked as a Mitsumi CR-48x5te, while on Mitsumi's web site I only found a drive listed as CR-4805TE. I'm betting that this is the same drive, now here's the problem. The firmware app is calling for a true DOS window, not a DOS prompt. How do we go about doing this in WinXP...if its even possible ?!?!

2. dejav00

dejav00 Guest

Get a Windows 98 Start-up disk, put the files you need on the disk, boot to the disk. Run the program. Take disk out, reboot, hope you were right in your assumption. :D

3. CANNONBALL

CANNONBALL Guest

Request to PHANTOM 24

Hi Phantom
    Sorry that I can not help personally but on the advice of other XP-erience members I to am likely to encounter a simmilar problem when I attempt a clean install of XP PRO following a series of prblems arising from choosing to merly upgrade thus it would be greatly appreciated if You would contact Me as and when You find the solution.:)

4. xsivforce

xsivforce Prodigal Son Folding Team

Post the solution here in case someone else needs it.

5. Bytes Back

Bytes Back Ex Police Chief

Dejavoo's right about the dos disk. It shouldn't matter what you formatted your hard drive in either !!

6. Phantom_24

Phantom_24 Guest

Cool !!

Thanx guys for the tips !! Though it looks like he's doing the alternate/smart thing and going for a Sony drive. We'll just see what we can do with the HP drive.....told him he could use it for a server.....hehehehe.

Maybe it will ACTUALLY work on a non-HP mobo !!!