Looking to buy a new computer.

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by a dreams forever, Jan 15, 2008.

1. a dreams forever

a dreams forever OSNN Addict

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  2. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

might not handle it at the highest settings but should be able to play it

3. Arniestan1

Arniestan1 OSNN Addict

No. With videocard upgrade, yes.

4. a dreams forever

What video card should I get? a GeForce 8800GT 512MB?

5. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

That is the best bang for the buck right now.​

6. a dreams forever

Here is this computer as well

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8540867&type=product&id=1188559784848

It is a gateway so I don't know. which one would be better to get? I'm going to get one and upgrade the video card to a 8800 gtx or a gts. Does either computer support the sli 2 video card options? I'm so stupid on the info. I can build the computers but I know nothing about the actual info on things. also, would I need to buy a better power supply for the updated video cards?

7. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Be very cautious buying any inexpensive off the shelf computer for gaming. The video WILL be inadequate which means an upgrade. An upgarde to ab 8800 GT class video card means a replacement power supply for the compute rthat will set you back and extra $100 plus the card which is going for around $275 right now. You may also have to add extra case cooling. The 8800 GT 512 is a 165W card at max load.

The power supply should be 550W with 2, +12V @ 18A outputs.

8. a dreams forever

Any suggestions on where I should buy a computer? I want it to be 1,000 to 1,500.

I also have another question. I don't understand. ok my first computer is :
    P4 3ghz
    2gb ram
    radeon 1950 pro 256mb
    The card was ok. Nothing great but it ran ok.

The 2nd computer I have is :
    amd athlon 64 3500+
    1gb ram
    radeon 1650 512mb

My fiancee has the 2nd computer and JUST got into playing team fortress 2. She didn't mess with any settings and I noticed she was getting alot higher fps than me. while mine is set to medium settings. Every game she was getting great FPS. She would get 30 fps while I was getting 19. I thought computer one was the better computer. I wanted to do a test so we switched out video cards and this video card is working better on this computer. Why is the lower end video card working better than the 1950?

9. a dreams forever

I do notice the x1950 needs a 450 watt power supply or greater. I have a 500 watt. Is that good enough? Also, could the x1650 be doing better cause it has 512? When I use the x1650 the defaults for source games is high. When I use the x1950 the defaults are medium. I thought the x1950 was the better card. Thank you all for helping me and giving me the info I need.