Looking for

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by dreamliner77, Apr 21, 2002.

1. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

Hey all,

I'm looking for a program that can record streaming audio (preferably as mp3 (I believe this is the navtive format of the stream)). The reason being that a class that I'm taking has the lectures streamed from an online site. I would like to be able save these so I can burn them to a cd and then listen to them on my discman whilst I'm on campus.

2. Static 99

Static 99 Guest

3. dreamliner77

argh, I thought that was gonna work, but the stream has to be from a shoutcast stream. Any other ideas? I searched cnet and couldn't come up with anything.

4. Qumahlin

Qumahlin Moderator

what kinda stream is the audio? is it just streaming windows media or is it realplayer or such?

5. dreamliner77

Qumahlin is coming to my rescue again!!!

It is a mp3 stream. All I know is that it opens with winamp. let me know if you need more info...

Hmmm, I can't find anything that will do it, there has to be something...

6. dreamliner77

Just an idea...
    could this because a password is needed to get into the site?

7. Qumahlin

Qumahlin Moderator

if it's a streamed MP# you should be able to just use Winamp's default Waveout plugin so save the file..I think :p

8. Outback2k1

Outback2k1 OSNN Addict

You can use Windows Media Encoder.
    If you set it to loopback, it will record anything that goes through your sound card.

9. AmarSingh

AmarSingh Guest

if none of these solutions work for you, you can download many audio programs that will record anything that goes through your sound card. I suggest cool edit 2000

10. dreamliner77

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have SoundForge Pro, would that work? And if so, any one know what I'd have to do?

11. AmarSingh

AmarSingh Guest

yeah sound forge works....um its been a while since ive used it, but u have create a new file and hit the record button. then select mixer is the recording source (this might have to be done through windows sound mixer) and record away. i believe sound forge gives you the option to save as mp3.....and you dont need a very high bitrate since its only voice....id say 24kbps should be good

12. dreamliner77

cool beans. I'll try it out tomorrow. I don't know why I never even thought of that. But thanks or the help!