Looking for New Antivirus Program

if you have a broadband router, you don't need a firewall on your pc.

Well that statement is debatable. [SIZE=-1]Hardware and software firewalls each have their own advantages. The best preparation is to have a combination of both hardware and software firewall[/SIZE] on a windows system working in tandem. :) but thats for another topic........

I use Kasperky Internet Security 2009 (KIS 9), I'm happy with Kaspersky since KAV 3.5.

Well that statement is debatable. [SIZE=-1]Hardware and software firewalls each have their own advantages. The best preparation is to have a combination of both hardware and software firewall[/SIZE] on a windows system working in tandem. :) but thats for another topic........

It's only debatable in so much as people have been lead to believe a desktop firewall is necessary.

If you have good up to date AV software and are using NAT on your router you don't need a desktop firewall at all.

The only time I would say you'd need one is if you have a public static address block on your broadband as I do, but even then so long as you have decent AV and keep windows/linux/mac os x up to date you shouldn't have need of a desktop firewall even then.

i use windows own firewall as a fall back :) - im in the market for a x64 server av program but money is so tight atm :(

Is this extra "Security Suite" important, or is Vista good enough? In other words, if I use Vista, coupled with an antivirus and spyware scanners like Ad Aware and Spybot, do I need the extra third-party firewall protection, or is Vista's firewall good enough?

It's probably better to be safe than sorry as they say... However, Vista does have a good firewall built-in so if the cost of having a 3rd party firewall cannot be justified, you are still quite safe.

It's only debatable in so much as people have been lead to believe a desktop firewall is necessary.

If you have good up to date AV software and are using NAT on your router you don't need a desktop firewall at all.

I concur.

The only time I would say you'd need one is if you have a public static address block on your broadband as I do, but even then so long as you have decent AV and keep windows/linux/mac os x up to date you shouldn't have need of a desktop firewall even then.

If everything is kept up to date, and you are running NAT at least im my experience of running a local and public server on my network. I dont install software firewalls and all is well. :)

I concur also with the nat router. As long as you have a nat router, you do not need a soft firewall. However, I still use windows firewall as an extra precaution - That and I think the pop up for it looks pretty ..

Most people get soft firewalls to keep things from getting out. I am not worried about that. If you have nothing to hide, then you have nothing anyone wants ...

Well, I've been using the trial version of NOD32/ESET Smart Security for the last couple of weeks, and I like it. It hasn't slowed down or broken anything, unlike my earlier experience with Trend Micro back in January (and did I mention that Trend Micro's firewall program destroyed my internet connection to the point that I had to enter the Command Prompt to fix it? :p ). I'm probably going to buy it when my trial runs out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back