Looking for New Antivirus Program

melon

MS-DOS 2.0
Political Access
I'm in the market for a new antivirus program, and I'm interested in one that is obviously reliable but is also as minimal of a resource hog as possible. FYI, I'm willing to pay for it, so you can suggest more than freeware.

Also, I notice a lot of these programs these days are more than "antivirus" programs and are now "internet security" programs. Having used some of them in the past, I found that they tended to screw everything up and I would just go back to a plain-old antivirus program. Do any of these "internet security" additions work, or do they always mess everything up? :p

That is a matter of opinion.

I have used Nod32 and Kaspersky with Kav coming out on top for one reason.

Kav uses less resources then Nod32 on my system.

Attachments

• kav.jpg
    kav.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 131
I attached a pdf file listing independent Retrospective/ProActive testing on a large list of Anti-Virus products from AV-Comparatives.

It should give you some good insight on Scanning results and resources.

Personally, I use Avira Antivir free for my Windows laptop. I used to use AVG free until version 8 was turned into a bloated mess.

As far as purchasing, NOD32 and kaspersky Are very good choices.

Stay clear of Symantec/Norton (unless you want all kind of issues)

Attachments

• report18.pdf
    508.3 KB · Views: 279
That is a matter of opinion.

I have used Nod32 and Kaspersky with Kav coming out on top for one reason.

Kav uses less resources then Nod32 on my system.

That is actually my only issue with NOD32, the resources it needs. Yet it's not that big of an issue.

That is actually my only issue with NOD32, the resources it needs. Yet it's not that big of an issue.

Hmm...so NOD32 needs lots of resources? Some of the reading I've done on it has said the opposite; that it uses fewer resources.

Hmm...so NOD32 needs lots of resources? Some of the reading I've done on it has said the opposite; that it uses fewer resources.

Load of crap really, if you have NOD32 doing all that it should be doing, it has 3 different (4 maybe) things running in the backgroud, each 4000KB or more.

*edit just looked again, weird, there are 2, one at 20,000KB and one at 2000KB

That links to stand alone AV. You can disable the IE toolbar in the installer and the linkscanner once the program is installed.

ALL AV will alert you when you have stuff turned off :)

whats all this ****e about resources, look most pcs now have min of 2GB and max of about 8GB of ram in them, its not like the pcs now cant handle it :p

I think NOD32 Security Suite v3 is an interesting one. Pretty confident that it'll give all-round protection for your system.

whats all this ****e about resources, look most pcs now have min of 2GB and max of about 8GB of ram in them, its not like the pcs now cant handle it :p

They might still be using 486 PCs with 16mb ram.... :laugh:

I think NOD32 Security Suite v3 is an interesting one. Pretty confident that it'll give all-round protection for your system.

Is this extra "Security Suite" important, or is Vista good enough? In other words, if I use Vista, coupled with an antivirus and spyware scanners like Ad Aware and Spybot, do I need the extra third-party firewall protection, or is Vista's firewall good enough?

if you have a broadband router, you don't need a firewall on your pc.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back