Longhorn?

FishBoy said:
hey let's all switch to linux why dont we :D
Let's not. Linux will never be a real desktop o/s, it's too complex for the average user (yes, even simple distro's), and too varied and all over the place for most advanced users. It doesn't seem to have an over-all aim.

YellowTab Zeta (aka, BeOS) has a better chance of being a Windows replacement. Linux just has more popularity and coverage.

NetRyder said:
Beta testers? Beta DVD? Fish, you have a time-machine you're not telling us about? :D There's no beta yet. The last build we saw was a pre-alpha, and things have changed drastically since then.

Stay tuned for OSNN's coverage of WinHEC 2005 next week. We're getting a new build to play with. ;)

The roadmap has chaged for WinHEC somewhat:

April 2005
Microsoft to distribute Longhorn preview for ISVs and OEMs at WinHEC in Seattle

Summer 2005
Microsoft to deliver Beta 1 of the WinFS-free version of Longhorn. The beta will be one-third feature-complete, Microsoft says

September 2005
Microsoft to hold its second "Longhorn" Professional Developers Conference

Late 2005-Mid 2006
Microsoft to deliver interim "Community Technology Preview" style Longhorn builds, followed by Longhorn Beta 2

Q3/Q4 2006
Microsoft to RTM final Longhorn to get product out in time for 2006 holiday season

The WinHEC build was never supposed to be Beta 1. It's a developer preview, similar to 4074, although it obviously includes a lot of new stuff. Whether or not any of that is of interest to end-users remains to be seen. I'll be up in Seattle representing OSNN at the conference. Will be covering the event on our WinHEC blog - http://netryder.osnn.net/winhec2005 :)

It's good to hear about the public CTP's prior to the RTM release. That will be the fun phase for most people. :D I was expecting something like that to happen ever since Microsoft started making Avalon and Indigo CTP's available to the general public. It's a good move...gets more people involved in the feedback process.

I tried build 4051 on a spare HD i had on my old machine (Athlon 2.4 with a VIA chipset), and then when i recently upgraded to my new nVidia based Athlon64 mobo i was gobsmacked to say the least that it booted up first time without me needing to uninstall any old drivers/hardware config...
For anyone that's tried a mobo swap you'll appreciate just how impressive that is ;)

Sounds exciting NetRyder. You'll have a great time regardless. I've got your site bookmarked and will be checking in. Keep us posted.. :)

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it, napalm. Just got my flight tickets this morning, actually. :) If you have any general or technical questions that you would like me to ask while I'm there, post them in this thread: http://www.osnn.net/forum/showthread.php?t=69048

I'd like to see more members getting involved since it is a community event rather than just a personal thing for me. :)

SPeedY_B said:
Linux will never be a real desktop o/s, it's too complex for the average user (yes, even simple distro's)

I don't really want to start a Microsoft vs. Linux debate, but have you tried a live CD, such as Knoppix, recently?

I've installed most Microsoft OS's and a few Linux distro's so I've got a good basis for comparison. By far the simplest OS to get up and running that I've used is Knoppix.

I've tried it on both new and old hardware and it run's quite happily with no configuration required in 90% of cases. It includes various office apps, various browsers and email clients, lots of system utilities all out of the box and it's extremely cost effective (Free, as in beer :D)

The only downside to it is the speed, as it's running off a CD.

I think project's like Knoppix will drive Linux forward on the desktop as it's a good way to take a look at linux without risking your existing config. As people start seeing more of Live CDs I think they'll start picking up some of the "simple" distro's. I've not looked at it for a while, but last time I used suse (18 months ago) it was fairly user friendly out of the box, the only snag I hit was guessing details for a laptop display, installing new applications was very simple with yast.

Nick said:
I don't really want to start a Microsoft vs. Linux debate, but have you tried a live CD, such as Knoppix, recently?

I've installed most Microsoft OS's and a few Linux distro's so I've got a good basis for comparison. By far the simplest OS to get up and running that I've used is Knoppix.

I've tried it on both new and old hardware and it run's quite happily with no configuration required in 90% of cases. It includes various office apps, various browsers and email clients, lots of system utilities all out of the box and it's extremely cost effective (Free, as in beer :D)

The only downside to it is the speed, as it's running off a CD.

I think project's like Knoppix will drive Linux forward on the desktop as it's a good way to take a look at linux without risking your existing config. As people start seeing more of Live CDs I think they'll start picking up some of the "simple" distro's. I've not looked at it for a while, but last time I used suse (18 months ago) it was fairly user friendly out of the box, the only snag I hit was guessing details for a laptop display, installing new applications was very simple with yast.

Running a live CD such as knoppix is hardly installing an OS.

I dunno, you'd need to define installing really. If the OS isn't "installed" what is it then? It's up and running and it'll be there when you reboot the machine (as long as you haven't removed the CD). But then you can install an OS to removeable media, such as a USB drive, and that'll only be there as long as it's plugged in. For that matter, so's an OS on an IDE drive.

I'd even be tempted to agree with you and argue that by not needing to install it, this makes it even more user friendly.

Either way your picking at semantics. I may have misused a word, but the point of the post was hardly an exercise in English :)

One of the easiest and cleanest uninstalls also :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back