Longhorn what you think?

wow.. are these screen shots of Longhorn?
They look pretty cool to me.

I have questions for all those who have got their hands on the Longhorn OS and that is...
1. Is there any difference in speed when compared to WinXP during the early stages after installation of the OS?

2. Are there any major difference to the OS in general compared to previous OSes

1. I only had the RC stages of whistler/XP, but LH 4015 seems to run at an ok speed once WinFS has been disabled, but it is VERY early on in development.

2. probably, but from what I've seen in the brief period that I've played with it, so far it's just a few visual things. I'm sure there's lots more that I haven't actually seen/looked into, after all, all i did was boot it, install FireBird and X-Chat and go about my normal IRC'ing and web surfing ;)

Speed difference to install the os is 15 mins now for longhorn and thats from a Full install

Takes about 45 mins to an hour to install XP here.

yea basically the same, i think he was using a Recovery Disk tho, n Apparantly tho the Longhorn Installtion time may be cut down Even More! Through there new method

I don't mind the install time too much really.
I mean for example, you spend 1 hour installing XP, then and hour minimum each day using it for a month before you install it again. (just for examples sake anyway.. :) ) you get enough use out of it for the time taken to install it :)

HopeFully Wit Longhorn there wont b as many Problems Espiecally in Security

There always will be. But I would rather that these exploits and flaws were found, rather than them not being publically announced, leaving only those who are very knowledgable with more power than they should have.

It's like OpenBSD, supposedly the most secure o/s you can have, then they slipped up and had a security hole in the default install (was the SSH package used) which took away the "no security hole" claim they had for 6 years.
The developers of any app or o/s can't possibly think up and test every single situation ever that may occur, so un-fortunately there will almost definately be security flaws :(

I Guess but in Longhorns Winfs it Protects user Data So Maybe i Kinda More Advanced Firewall or such, i know that u hav to let a file let hav Acces to ur comp and the internet now in Longhorn After Reading a Review so that should give more Protection at the cost of annoyancy, N Persumable there wud b a button such as " Always Let Installed/ Downloaded File Have Acces to the Net/Comp" So may i ask wat is the point? lol

the thing with security holes with average pc users is that they wouldnt notice anything wrong with the pc in the first place unless all of a sudden their computer suddenly slows down or even freezes repeatedly. But what im trying to point out in my opinion is that these security patches that are on the windows update site help to reasure people for their safety that they didnt know they had any trouble with in a first place. That surely would be a good thing to them and would be a good thing for other pc users because the problem would finally be fixed. O/S's are improved over a matter of time for example with the service pack's and as Speedy B pointed out, O/S's cannot be tested through every method possible because usually, people can find many new ways to discover things for example tweaks etc.

The thing we can at least be happy about is that at least Windows are doing something about all these security flaws rather than leaving them the way they are and continuing to build a newer O/S System which would have the fixed security flaw in which therefore would mean more money for the customer just to fix the problem. So in some sense, they do have a matter of consideration towards people who have an older O/S and help them as much as they can help the newer O/S users which i am pleased about. Wouldnt you be annoyed if you suddenly found out that XP wouldnt be updated anymore due to the building process of Longhorn? Would that be a good thing to stop all work on XP and make every employer work on the Longhorn to achieve a powerful operating system that would yet still have flaws due to they could not be able to find every method of usage?

I'm not too bothered about security flaws...especially minor ones. If you'e careful, install AV software, and a firewall, you have nothing to worry about.
Despite all the security holes in XP and viruses built for Windows, I haven't been hacked EVER, and the last time I had to deal with a virus attack was 5 years ago.
*Knocks on wood* ;)

Luckily I've never been hacked, never had any virii or anything like that (was DoS'd once for pissing someone off, but that's a different story) and I don't run AV most of the time, and I only ever install a firewall when I remember, my security is quite shocking at times to be honest :p

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but didn't NTFS (NT File System) come out before FAT32?

FAT 16 was first for the "home" user then M$ came out with NT File System (aka NTFS) for the business users who wanted file system security.

Then to keep their business software market differentiated but still support us lowly "home users" with bigger drives they came out with FAT32.

Then in Windows 2000 where they started bluring the home/office lines NTFS became avaialbel to all users.

BTW Is no one coming to M$ defence after my obvious slam of Longhorn?

There's two versions of NTFS, so I guess the first one did come out before FAT32. WindowsNT uses NTFS format, while NTFS5 came out with Windows 2000, the same one that is found in Windows XP.
NTFS5 had the data encryption built into it whereas the previous NTFS didn't.

longhorn is based on ntfs6 - .net gear. I am wondering if the software comapnies are working on progs for the up now or not, because there is going to be a lot of incompatibilties involved here ..

It does look sweet, I installed the alpha - it looked just like xp, nothing diff at all - It could have been a fake, so I dumped it.

Originally posted by SPeedY_B
did it look like this.. ?
It did say Longhorn xp professional on the desktop like that one does, but it did'nt have that theme, it had the default theme for xp - I like that though - I want it ..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back