Longhorn Requirements

haha those specs have to be made up .. 3yrs is a long time but i doubt (unless there is some crazy new technology someone is keeping top top secret coming) that we will see affordable "dual-core CPU running at 4 to 6GHz" or 1TB of storage for any desktop system. Hell ppl are using water cooling and such to keep upper lvl athlons and p4's cool .. imagine a dual-core cpu running @ 4-5GHz .. damn thing would probably make your case glow red. :p

SPeedY_B said:
Morons :D

I wasn't overly shocked at the seemingly high specs, but to me this little move seems stupid.

And how is this a stupid move?
blink.gif

Not everyone (especially corporate users) is going to have the latest and greatest graphics cards in their machines. Besides, an environment with the most eye-candy need not necessarily always be the most productive. The main goal here is compatibility and choice. Longhorn is not all about the user-interface. There's much more to it than that. The multi-tiered system is giving users a choice. What's the problem with that?

Xie said:
haha those specs have to be made up ..

I think so too. Apparently, these specs came from "developer sources close to the company." Bull****, I say.
On one hand, you see these speculative specs which mention some ultra-powerful GPU, and on the other, you have some far more reliable info straight from Microsoft that's seemingly contradictory.

Look at this picture from Jim Allchin's keynote at the WinHEC. DirectX 9 and 64-128MB of VRAM doesn't seem exactly revolutionary, does it?

No point believing things that don't come directly from Microsoft.

j79zlr said:
You have to remember that longhorm wont be out for another 3 years probably, yet that still seems ridiculous. Maybe they are learning to be more realistic for their minimum specs, I mean is anyone who runs XP with a 233MHz processor and 64MB RAM actually pleased with its performance?

My uncle :p.

he runs it on a 133 Mhz, with 32 MB ram. Takes a while to boot, but after that its completely usable.

Those are some badass specs. Damn, i could compile XFree, KDE, and Gnome all within an hour on that i bet :p

X-Istence said:
Those are some badass specs. Damn, i could compile XFree, KDE, and Gnome all within an hour on that i bet :p
Yeah damn thing sounds like a server for something like google :p

i think those specs will be available, but is eveyone gona spend serious $$$ in 3 years time?, most bog standard users will keep with what they have. only rick geeks will beupgrading like that, i bet in 10 years time there will still be a fair % using dial up + win 98 :d

Well I will stick to XP pro for at least till 2010.

Dial-up will be banned I think. If I could have got a decent 56k dial up I would have not gone to BB.

I still have my 3.10/3.11/95/95 c/98/98se/ME/XP home disks.

It seems with every new ops we have to fork out for more expensive HW.

if you watch those longhorn demo vids... they have longhorn on a comp with amd athlon 2000+ with only 512mb of ram...

No, they have LongHorn Pre-Alpha lab builds. LongHorn is NOT available yet, and will not be in any representative form until late 2005.

SPeedY_B said:
No, they have LongHorn Pre-Alpha lab builds. LongHorn is NOT available yet, and will not be in any representative form until late 2005.
omg you put "representative form" and a Microsoft product in same sentence! :eek:

/me is seen hiding in bushes with a tinfoil hat

/me starts saving to buy a supercomputer.

wayy off topic but text based rpg's are still fun.

/me thinks about the future and longhorn...
/me see's a funny looking dog and forgets about longhorn and chases the funny dog

all these people getting so worked up over longhorn and it's "latest build", when in reality there seeing brainstorming of ideas, a hacked up version of XP. the final realased version cant even be guesed for at least anouther year.

I agree that it's currently XP with add-ons, but those add-ons are slowly more and more proving that LongHorn will be an improved operating system (provided you win the lottery and buy a Top50 ranked Super Computer to run it on)

Not to mention we still haven't seen the Aero Glass GUI which Microsoft seem to want to keep up their sleeve until the last minute, possibly because it doesn't actually exist yet? possibly because they're trying to keep everyone wondering, yet we actually don't care so they're wasting their time.. who knows.

I'll be interested how it will run via VirtualPC on a Macintosh, afterall, VirtualPC is now a Microsoft product.

Can't say that I'm liking the darkness of it all, then again the whole thing seems to change color with each update.

None of the screenshots on Paul's site seem to have DWM enabled. I installed 4074 on my laptop a few weeks ago, and the DWM effects were pretty cool, although still not as nice as I'd eventually like them to be when it goes RTM.
tongue.gif

With DWM enabled, all windows have a semi-translucent border around them. The Alt-Tab effect is also pretty sweet - it looks like a 3D deck of cards (the cards being all your open windows, of course), and each card comes to the front of the deck as you hit tab.
I didn't take any screenshots, but there were quite a few over at Neowin. Gotta get to class right now, so if someone else wants to post them here, go ahead. If not, I'll do it when I get back.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back