longhorn question

1) These are leaked alphas, so no...they're not "legit." Any download links posted will be removed.
2) It's not worth the time and effort, IMO. Even the last leaked version isn't mature enough to be useable. There are bugs and memory leaks, and the whole system feels unresponsive and slow. Besides, there isn't much to see in it just yet. Bits and pieces of some of the new features have been thrown in, but they're not complete, and thus not useable either. I'd suggest not wasting your time with it...unless you have a lot of it. =)

Thanks for the advice, NR! No, I don't have much time at hand. But I just wanted to see LH develop.

well..i think its more legit than not. I mean microsoft released this 4074 to developers at WinHEC. The other builds were leaked. If u wanted longhorn u wouldnt be able to use it as a main OS. It wasnt that bad when i tried it back when it was 4029 i think it was so i am sure its better but not great. Its an Ftp so if u still want it just say so since i wasnt to sure about your PM and then i read your post in here.

Yeah, in that respect it's "legit" insofar that it's real. However, the build was not intended to be used by the general public and technically speaking, we're not developers so we're not authorized to use it. Is MS going to bother trying to track down everyone that's using it that's not authorized to do so? No, I seriously doubt it. But still, I have to agree with NR in saying that it's probably not prudent to go advertising that you have it and where to get it. I definitely would never use it as my main OS.

Well...its not like RWSBetas or anything doesn show that they have it.

Tittles, get over it, you're not supposed to have it, not supposed to use it. Use it if you want, hell, even talk about what you like or don't like about it here, but don't promote where to get it or how you got it. Yes, Longhorn builds are considered Warez.

While I find it fun to see what M$ might have planned for us when they release Longhorn I'm not going to tell you where to get it though I'm sure google can.

Yes its sort of legit as M$ did release it to developers but also since most of are not developers and yet we have it which means its no a real good idea around here to tell people where to get as its going to be classed as warez here

I agree with not using it as your main OS but as I said its fun to see what might be in store when it does actaully become more legit.

Ight then...well anyway its gonna be awhile before my download gets done cause i have gay ass dial up :(. Would it be better to move all my files from my D: drive and put them on my C: so i can install longhorn on the d: or use PartitionMagic? I already have 90% of the files moved to the C: but i dont know much about PartitionMagic so i unno.

Edit: responding to chastity yes i agree with your point about it not bein released to anybody but developers, but come on microsoft knows that its gonna be put out to the public. They aint that stupid not to think that i dont really see the big deal about it bein released to us cause for one its buggy,slow, cant install alot of programs and run them stabel. I can understand more when it comes more towards the final version and the final verison since the last builds before the final version r pretty much gonna be like the final so i can understand that they might not want people to have it cept testers. But i gotta stop typin cause i just forgot that i had an icecream sandwhich and now its melted :(...so i gotta clean it up.

perris said:
anyone that tried one of the betas...how is the browser?

is it still ie, or have they made changes, I'm wondering if they made it compliant and added tabs
Regarding the PNG issue:
Transparent PNG Support

We get a lot (and I do mean a lot) of complaints about the lack of alpha channel support for PNG in Internet Explorer. Quite right too! This is an optional part of the PNG specification but it is the part that actually makes PNG more useful that other image formats. I am hopeful that we may be able to address this at some point in the future but at this stage we can't say exactly when or offer any guarantees. If anyone does offer you a guarantee about a feature shipping in a future piece of software then you should be very suspicious.

Unfortunately we can't turn back time and add this functionality. Or maybe we can!
There are workarounds that make use of the AlphaImageLoader filter supplied with Internet Explorer. Now using this filter in its raw form involves adding script to the page. I know many web designers are uncomfortable with adding script as it also can make supporting these web pages more difficult particularly if they don't have a programmer to turn to when things stop working. Fortunately a few clever people have wrapped up the functionality in a component known as a behavior so all a web designer needs to do is add a style for images to their page

img { behavior: url("pngbehavior.htc");}

and place the pngbehavior.htc file with the page on their server.

See http://webfx.eae.net/dhtml/pngbehavior/pngbehavior.html and http://www.mongus.net/pngInfo/ for a couple of complete samples and tutorials on how to do this.

I'm certainly not pretending that this is as good as native support for transparent PNG, and I can assure you we haveheard the requests to support this and are taking the feedback seriously. However I do think this solution offers a good way to allow designers to use these effects today to build some exceptionally beautiful pages.
Dave Massy is a Senior Program Manager of the IE team.
http://blogs.msdn.com/DMassy/

Pretty offtopic . I come with a collection of Longhorn ( official ) wallpapers . Can be found here .
Cosmin .

Yay...i have longhorn installed. Its really not that bad a tad bit slow but not to bad. I gotta find drivers for my modem and then gotta find a firewall that will run on it since ZA wont.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back