log-off shortcut

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by $triker, Jul 10, 2002.

1. $triker

$triker Guest

anyone know a shortcut to log-off (not switch users)
    thnx, Striker
  2. Jewelzz

Jewelzz OSNN Godlike Veteran

3. $triker

$triker Guest

thank you, but I think you answered more than was necessary, i just wanted a shortcut for my desktop to be able to log-off the current user, such as %windir%\system32\shtdwn.exe (location of shutdown, or at least close to it), do i really have to hack the win theme just to make a shortcut?
  4. Jewelzz

Jewelzz OSNN Godlike Veteran

Wow, my bad lol. Guess I posted in the wrong thread. Think someone else go your answer :rolleyes:
  5. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Melbourne Australia
    "Creating a ShutdownReboot Icon

WindowsXP has a program called SHUTDOWN.EXE which allows you to easily create icons to shutdown or restart your computer.
    To create a shutdown shortcut on the desktop:
    1. Right click on an open area of the desktop
    2. Select New / Shortcut
    3. Enter in "shutdown -s -t 00" - no quotes
    4. Press the Next button
    5. For the name, enter in anything you like. I just use shutdown. Click on the Finish button.
    For a reboot, enter "shutdown -r -t 00"
    Shutdown [{-l|-s|-r|-a}] [-f] [-m [\\ComputerName]] [-t xx] [-c "message"] [-d[p]:xx:yy]
    • -l - Logs off the current user, this is also the defualt. -m ComputerName takes precedence.
    • -s - Shuts down the local computer.
    • -r - Reboots after shutdown.
    • -a - Aborts shutdown. Ignores other parameters, except -l and ComputerName. You can only use -a during the time-out period.
    • -f - Forces running applications to close.
    • -m [\\ComputerName] - Specifies the computer that you want to shut down.
    • -t xx - Sets the timer for system shutdown in xx seconds. The default is 20 seconds.
    • -c "message" - Specifies a message to be displayed in the Message area of the System Shutdown window. You can use a maximum of 127 characters. You must enclose the message in quotation marks."
  6. $triker

$triker Guest

thanks to the both of you