Locking Windows XP Desktop Icons In Place

Discussion in 'Windows Applications' started by kcnychief, May 8, 2008.

1. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

OK, this probably is something I'm over-complicating, but...

I have a machine with a considerable amount of desktop icons. It is a desktop with a 19" LCD. If you access it from a machine through RDP with a different resolution, understandably so - the icons get a bit jumbled. When you go back to the machine, they are out of whack.

I don't really use desktop icons, so never came across this. I found a few possibilities -

This one seems OK, but I'm wondering how it will work if I make changes or add new icons. I would like to be flexible to be able to do that.

There are a few applications out there, but I'd prefer not to load software to do it.

This seems OK, (search for layout to jump to the section), but seems weird. I copy a file, add a .reg and right-click on the Recycle bin to save/update?

Basically I want the icons to stay put - there has to be an easier/better way?

2. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

Are Auto Arrange and Align to Grid checked?

Right-click desktop > arrange icons by

3. kcnychief

I was thinking Align to Grid, but not sure if that retains screen positioning when screen resolution fluctuates.

I'll give that a try though and see, thanks.

-edit-

No dice - I almost wonder if there are too many icons if this isn't really possible. When the resolution dips below normalcy, some don't even fit on the screen too well.

4. SkyFuser

SkyFuser Techtard in Training Political User

Locking icons in place as in so they won't move at all, or they just adhere to the aligned coordinates?

5. kcnychief

Well it would be nice to have the option to move them if so desired - but I'm confident it's just user error. I have explained that they need to align their expectations to the resolution differences between their laptop and desktop. As a result, they are doing things differently and now is no longer an issue.

6. tzepp@cox.net

tzepp@cox.net high