Lock Ups after restart

P

Pyr0

This happens EVERY time I restart. I will try to do something but it will not respond. My start menu will be stuck also. I have to Crtl - Alt - Del and kill the application AND explorer.exe. Then I have to restart explorer.exe and it will still not respond so I have to kill it again. I must kill and restart explorer.exe about 4 times before my computer starts responding. This is after a FRESH format.

Is it straight after the format or have you added a few things already?

Not exactly straight after the format. The only few things I installed were Norton AV, Office XP. I might try disabling Norton AV and rebooting.

System restore is off. But I think I figured out the problem. Some of the services don't start right away. Now to find out what exact services and how to fix it.

Repair usually doesn't work....In fact I have yet to see it work.

Do a fresh format, and try it before you install anything. Thinking it could be a virus on one of your install cds......IF not there possibly in the boot sector, if so you have a new paperweight.:rolleyes:

-Grinder

alg and scvhost load quite very late. And I think thats whats causing it. Oh well format here I come.

It doesn't do it after a clean format. But when I set up my DSL connection and restart it starts again. Anyway to modify which services start first?

I think thats a driver problem

there are 2 way for understand this events. firstly select safe mode while you are booting. when you are in safe mode if system works properly you have a driver problem. you must install XP signed drivers. when you in safe mode system doesnt use any driver.

if system still hanging you have a hardware problem. unplug all cards and try to restart

Its not likeing it when I go to the "Connect To" in the start menu. Other than that its fine. After I start explorer.exe a few times alg and scvhost start up also and then my computer works properly.

i had this problem and a format fixed it. Thats all i can suggest im afraid.

You could try downloading "msconfig" and running that (included with this post) and then go to the startup tab along the top and it lists all the things that load on startup.

Beware though, dont uncheck anything that you dont know about.

U can also get to it by going to Start, run and typing ... msconfig

but on a fresh format should not by much in there.

-Grinder

It doesn't happen after a format. It happens after I setup broadband connection and reboot. And ya I'm on Pro Corp edition

I have Pro on PC and Home on laptop and neither have msconfig installed :confused: but hey :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back