Local cable companies now offering phone service ??

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by Johnny, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

The local cable companies in my area are now offering phone service through the cable lines. This a for a lot lower price than the phone service through Verizon, and the others of course.

Ie; My local cable company has theirs for $29.99 a month and it includes everything. Verizon is $70.00 a month for everything. This is not voip - Does anyone else area offer this now ???

2. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

In Central NY Time Warner Cable has been offering phone service for two years.

3. ejn74

ejn74 Folding Master! Political User Folding Team

the cable company has it for the same price you mention. we have had it it the area I am in for the last year.

4. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Yeah, places in MA have been doing it forever now too. Each company uses it as a marketing tool so you only have one bill for everything.

5. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

Not VOIP? Weird, mine is VoIP. And it is through the cable company as well. The VoIP stuff is handled by the modem itself, which will put a stop on the upload/download when the phone is being used, a drop of about 20 kb/sec either way. My cable box has an internal cable company only IP address as well, which it uses to retrieve the channel data and whatnot, I found that out when I plugged into the serial port on the back of the box. Runs an changed version of OpenBSD.

Cablevision currently has their special for a year, $30 for each service:

$30 for Cable + iO ($10 + $5 (* HBO, STARZ and others))
    $30 for Phone
    $30 for Internet

After that it goes to:

$50 for Cable + extra's
    $34.99 for Phone
    $40 for Internet

Really neat.

6. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

nip, it's not voip. there is no modem for it or anything; they run the line to the telco box and the phones get hooked up the same as usual ...

7. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

I think it may be VOIP but the whole hookup is in that telco box. I seem to remember a friend mentioning something like this, it is easier for Mr. and Mrs. Electronic-Illerate, to them its a regular phone line.