Local cable companies now offering phone service ??

Johnny

.. Commodore ..
Political Access
The local cable companies in my area are now offering phone service through the cable lines. This a for a lot lower price than the phone service through Verizon, and the others of course.

Ie; My local cable company has theirs for $29.99 a month and it includes everything. Verizon is $70.00 a month for everything. This is not voip - Does anyone else area offer this now ???

In Central NY Time Warner Cable has been offering phone service for two years.

the cable company has it for the same price you mention. we have had it it the area I am in for the last year.

Yeah, places in MA have been doing it forever now too. Each company uses it as a marketing tool so you only have one bill for everything.

The local cable companies in my area are now offering phone service through the cable lines. This a for a lot lower price than the phone service through Verizon, and the others of course.

Ie; My local cable company has theirs for $29.99 a month and it includes everything. Verizon is $70.00 a month for everything. This is not voip - Does anyone else area offer this now ???

Not VOIP? Weird, mine is VoIP. And it is through the cable company as well. The VoIP stuff is handled by the modem itself, which will put a stop on the upload/download when the phone is being used, a drop of about 20 kb/sec either way. My cable box has an internal cable company only IP address as well, which it uses to retrieve the channel data and whatnot, I found that out when I plugged into the serial port on the back of the box. Runs an changed version of OpenBSD.

Cablevision currently has their special for a year, $30 for each service:

$30 for Cable + iO ($10 + $5 (* HBO, STARZ and others))
$30 for Phone
$30 for Internet

After that it goes to:

$50 for Cable + extra's
$34.99 for Phone
$40 for Internet

Really neat.

nip, it's not voip. there is no modem for it or anything; they run the line to the telco box and the phones get hooked up the same as usual ...

I think it may be VOIP but the whole hookup is in that telco box. I seem to remember a friend mentioning something like this, it is easier for Mr. and Mrs. Electronic-Illerate, to them its a regular phone line.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back