Live in Texas? Gas up tonight.

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by VenomXt, Mar 23, 2005.

1. VenomXt

VenomXt Blame me for the RAZR's Folding Team

2. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

It's 2.10 a gallon here in state college .. They are saying by the end of summer it is going to be over 3.00 a gallon. Man I hate Opec !

3. vivid_vibe

vivid_vibe OSNN Senior Addict

It's $2.00 per/gallon for Regular here in middle Georgia. It's the lowest in the country if that's any indicator. It was $.85 per/gallon here in '99. Amazing.

4. rotjong

rotjong Moderator

Here is NY [dead center of the state] gas is running around $2.15 for the cheap stuff to about $2.30 for Super. Of course my oh so lovely economical diesel car is costing me $2.39 a gallon. I supposed I shouldn't feel so bad though. A few months ago I had to pay $2.51 a gallon. At least I get decent mileage.

rotjong

5. melon

melon MS-DOS 2.0 Political User

I say we pull oil off of the commodities market. When someone buys oil, they should physically pick it up with their tanker or whatever and use it. No refunds.

As it stands, oil can be traded like a stock, so we have opportunistic speculators driving up the price of oil. They'll sell too, without having to ever having to pick up one drop of oil. Get rid of the parasitic speculators and the price of oil will drop.

Melon

6. ruiner_066

ruiner_066 OSNN Addict

I'm home for spring break on Vashon Island (right near seattle) & it's $2.65 for regular, $2.85 for premium =/

7. skizo

skizo OSNN Addict

Not quite the lowest. I filled up today in Austin, Texas for $1.899/gallon. Considering how much of the gas comes from Texas, we'll be OK. Call it a hunch ;)

8. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Well as I always say, here in the UK, I pay £3.83 (approx) for a gallon of Diesel. That is over 7 dollars a gallon. You don't know how lucky you are.

9. rotjong

rotjong Moderator

I know Americans complain about prices but you are, indeed, correct. The U.S. has for a long long time actually had it easy even if we don't realize it. I've paid attention and it might be higher for us now but it's still far better than nearly anywhere else in the world.

One thing that bugs me, however, is your diesel is so much cleaner than ours. I also have the bio-diesel option but that is so insane for me to purchase. Essentially I'd have to buy 55 gallon drums of it and pay an ungodly amount if I wanted to use it. Ah well.

rotjong

10. Lukas

Lukas Real Name No Gimmicks

According to this site one gallon is about 4 liters.
    I pay 0.90€ / liter diesel, so about 3.6€ per gallon.
    1.00 EUR = 1.29972 USD
    So thats 4,68USD / gallon diesel

Did I make a mistake somewhere? Or is fuel just that expensive in the UK?

11. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

1 US gallon = 3.7854118 litres

1 UK Litre of Diesel is £0.844 (approx)
    Which means 1 gallon (us metric) is £3.837

$1 = £0.535272

3.837 GBP United Kingdom Pounds = 7.16832 USD United States Dollars

It is a good thing I only have to fill my car up once a month :)

12. Steevo

Steevo Spammer representing. Political User Folding Team

I say drive it up more. Let the soccer mom's in their Ford Extremeoversizedbehemouthpieceofshart feel the burn at $4.00 or $5.00 a gallon. I will continue to drive my 30ish MPG car and won't care a bit.

13. VenomXt

shhhhhhh not until i get a car. I currently drive a ford explorer with a v8/.

14. Steevo

Steevo Spammer representing. Political User Folding Team

I got a 400SB Chevy pickup.

6MPG

But I don't drive it very often. :p

15. skizo

skizo OSNN Addict

Ditto...I drive an F150 with a V8.

16. Henyman

Henyman Secret Goat Fetish Political User

filled up with diesil this morning for 89.9p/litre :eek:

not long ago it was 83.9 :(

17. Jewelzz

Jewelzz OSNN Godlike Veteran

Just went up to $2.05 for regular in the Dallas TX area.

Think about this ... we pay approx $2 a gallon for gas, about $2.50 per gallon or bottle water and between $2.50 - $3.00 per gallon of milk. Gas is cheap! We think it's expensive though ... we don't buy 12 - 20 gallons of water or milk in one shot like we do gas. Just a thought *shrug*

18. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

You guys have it all wrong.

Don't hate OPEC, they are trying to compensate for increased demand, they just don't have that much reserve capacity left. If light sweet crude goes over $40 a barrel for too long there will be a world wide recession. Last recession in 2000 drove the price of oil down to $25 a barrel for 3 years. That killed the OPEC member's profits.

WE ALL NEED TO HATE THE 1 BILLION CHINESE. They think they have the right to all own and drive mopeds instead of bicycles. Silly attitude, how are we westerners going to be able to afford to fill up our SUVs if billions of people in underdeveloped countries start raising their standard of living too.

Stop bying Chinese products so they won't have the money to buy those mopeds. Buy US, EU, Canadian, Mexican, Korean and Taiwanese instead (no implied order of preference in the list).

First product we can all stop buying is Intel CPUs and chipsets. They have opened several plants in China recently. Buy AMD they produce in EU, US and Taiwan.

Isn't this economics stuff complicated?

PS US lumber prices have doubled due to south east asian demand also.

19. Scooter

Scooter Random Apple Dude

I think we all just need to grow wings and fly around more often *nods*

Else people need to use their brains (well especially around my area). The nearest school is about 15 minutes walk and thats with kids, yet people still take their cars, vans etc for the "school trip" . Fair enough, you might drop your kid(s) off then drive off and either goto work a few miles away, or shop - etc - you get the image, but if you don't, then why not walk, use a bike, use a bus, or hell - pool together and get a lift!

I use public transport over using a car/owning one ( hahahah i 0wned your car! ) and i goto college 5 miles away and 2 bus changes!

Me thinks people just need to be more "eco-friendly" generally - but I know that we can't all live in trees and eat grass :)

20. VenomXt

*hunts down Scooter and takes his gas.*