Lite-on?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by -seek-, Jun 2, 2005.

1. -seek-

-seek- OSNN Addict

Is LITE-ON a very good quality company? I am thinking of buying a DVD burning and player from them...

2. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

I always liked Lite-On never had trouble with their drives

3. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Sony thinks enough of them that they outsource all of there CD drives to Lite-on. It may say Sony on the box but it's a Lite-on inside.

4. zeke_mo

zeke_mo (value not set) Staff Member Political User Folding Team

I have one right now and it is making strange noises....I dont think I'd get another cheap one again. Go with a nice brand like sony or asus

5. lynchknot

lynchknot Moderator

I have the cheap dual layer and it's great!

6. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

Lite-Ons and NECs are some of the top rated drives out there.

7. lynchknot

lynchknot Moderator

cool I rode dirt bikes in the Placerville area. Been through Placerville many times on the way to Tahoe.

8. -seek-

-seek- OSNN Addict

Thanks alot dudes! looks like I'm gonna go with them.

9. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

Lite-On is pretty cool. Its not the best stuff but it just keeps on working, you wont loose out by picking up their stuff.

10. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

I thought Matsu****a made most of the stuff for Sony, especially the drives.

Anyway, I've always rated LiteOn highly for their quality and have always used their drives on my computers, with the exception of my most recent DVDRW which I got when PC World closed down.

11. Kush

Kush High On Life!

just some advice go with nec, and kermit plz dont start to flame, because i just recently had bad experiance with 5 liteon dvd writers all firmware is up to date and not hacked, and i was using good imation media 8x, to burn about 300 copies of the yearbook dvd in school, at the end of the dvd on a lot of copies its screws up a lot as if it were really scratched when its not. never had this problem with the necs we used last year even though we used crapier media. nec all the way

12. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Never had issues with any of my Lite-on drives.

13. Kush

Kush High On Life!

try burning 300 dvds in a row and we will see if that was just our drives or liteons in general

14. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

Dont mention my name in your posts you dont want me to flame? your the one that flames people you and your cousin.

15. Kush

Kush High On Life!

i just said dont start to post about how nec makes the best everyting in a sarcastic way, and it wasnt only us just to let u know it was many others as u can see again in this post that are reccomending nec, i dont want to start anything again thats why i mentioned u.

16. Aprox

Aprox Moderator Political User

I have a Pioneer Dual Layer burner and I love it, its fast and quiet. They have released a few firmware updates to fix some things, over all its a great drive.

Model Number - DVR-A08 (Silver Model)

17. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Zeke, thanks, ROFLLMAO. "Don't buy Lite-on, buy a good brand like Sony." Hilarious. Scrape the label off your Sony and you'll find the Lite-on sticker underneath.

Ming - unless Sony changed who they were outsourcing to recently...
    About 15 months ago Sony outsourced all their CD drives to Lite-on because they couldn't compete on cost. Probably still an old news post about it on CDfreaks.

18. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

LiteOn CDRW's are some of the best out there. However, their DVDRW's leave alot to be desired. Best to look at BenQ 1620, NEC 35xx or Pioneer 109

19. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Yeah it's interesting that most people don't know that the majority of drives are just rebadged from a small number of actual drive makers.

20. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

how many companies make mechanisms anyhow? Panasonic, LG-Philips and?? I know Sony definatley do not make any of the hardware they sell optical wise.