Linux trouble :(

(browses through all the links posted and all the threads posted about linux)

.....AAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused: :confused:
(head explodes)

one minute it seems possible to try linux, the next, everyone's saying u gota do millions of stuff to do 1 thing, and that EVERYTHING's a file.....? like... my 246x874 th pixel is a file...!!!?

i downloaded the ISOs of mandrake 9.0 and since everyone's saying it's the easiest, fer newbs, i might try it if i get a chance...

i can 99% guarentee you'll have no problems with Mandrake, when i was new to linux i managed to install it at 3 in the morning and get everything working fine.

..... AAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:
confused:
(head explodes)

aawwwww, (people who are new to computers [like old folks] would say the same thing about windows,... it's just that youre really familiar w/ windows & linux is just a new thing to you) so dont cry, everything will be okay once you get over the lerning kurv :):):)

Gr8 , I have manged to install RH and keep XP alive, Big thanks to everyone who helped ;) .

But i might have done something wrong: When u was installing i gave only root password, and didn't create any users.
later on i selected a "Graphic login" . well it asks me for a username and password, and would not accept a blank username/password.

anyone has an idea about how i can bypass it???

i dont know which version you installed, if its 7.3 go under (from your start menu) => system => user manager, or if you installed 8.0 go under system tools(i htink) click on terminal and type: /usr/bin/redhat-config-users from the command line and use this utitity (login as root) and create new users, cause you shouldnt login as root except to do admin_type stuff :) (just a rule of thumb, you can do whatever you want)

Thanks for the advice MasHaXX()|2 , I Installed RH 8.0 .

The thing is I cant get to the start menu , i only can enter the usrnam/pass , select a different language, restart and change some regional seatings. is there a shortcut of some kind to get to the user manger???

type in "root" and your password you assigned root, that will log you in as root

"root" is the admin user name

it's like "Administrator" in windows

as root, you can change ANYTHING on the system, when you log in as another user you only get to change things that you have permissions to change (when you create users you specify which group they are in [usually the group is the same name as the user] and you [as root] can specify what that group can and cannot do, its a way better security system than windows uses).

this is why viruses are not so successful in the unix environment, cause an executable file cant change anything unless YOU specify that it can (usually has to have root privildgs').

Heh, Thanks it works ( I actually tryed that b4 i read this post, dumb me).

Well everything seems to work, Thanks Guys :)

for future reference, the user config prog is located in System Settings => Users and Groups.

have fun:)

BTW you probably have A LOT more stuff on there than what you have links to in your start menu (RH8 is REALLY bad about that, thats why i stuck w/ rh7.3 [i'm too lazy to be creating hundreds of lcon/links all over the place])

Thanks , I will .
But B4 the fun begins i have to find a way to install my Dynalink USB modem, i sense there will be problems :(

have you checked their website for installation? it should detect it when you try to install it. (System Settings=>Network, and Add under Devices.) if not you just point it to your usb device (should be /dev/usb/...something) where it says Madem Device

Posted by MadHaXX()|2
have you checked their website for installation? it should detect it when you try to install it. (System Settings=>Network, and Add under Devices.) if not you just point it to your usb device (should be /dev/usb/...something) where it says Madem Device

Hmmm, thanks , i didn't try this yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back