Linux Install Problems

Discussion in 'Linux & BSD' started by Corvette, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Corvette

Corvette Sauske!

I was going to install the copy of Red Hat Linux 7.0 that came with my book "Linux for Dummies" on Computer 1.

The CD did it's thing (Boot prompt, anaconda loading). But that was the case until the kernel did not detect my USB mouse and Keyboard. Will anyone figure out my problem?

And does Red Hat 8 and 9 have partitionless install support? I currently only have 1 hard drive at this moment so the only thing I can do with out reformatting is a partitionless install.

2. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

You might want to try Red Hat 9. I think they fixed this problem. If not, then switch to PS/2 mouse keyboard to install, then reconfigure for USB afterwords. As far as partitions go, Mandrake's install has the ability to resize windows partitions.

3. Corvette

Corvette Sauske!

I knew this might be the case. And regarding Red hat Linux 9, Does it have partitionless install support?

4. Reg

Reg eXperienced!

If version 7 had it, I'm not sure as to why they would remove it from 9.

5. Corvette

Corvette Sauske!

Maybe someone could test it on a VPC to see of it works in 8-9

6. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

ViperSnake: try downloading the latest version and try again. Or try Mandrake, as Mandrake will hold your hand thru the entire process.

7. thebear

thebear d(-.-)b

I'm fairly certain that in Anaconda you can manually resize (not sure about auto because I don't like auto) windows partitions

8. Corvette

Corvette Sauske!

1. I want to do a Partitionless install on Red Hat Linux 9
    2. I don't have broadband (I have a 56k connection)

9. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

What is a "partitionless" install? :confused:
    Unless you're talking about a LiveCD, you have to have at least one partition to install any operating system on.

10. Corvette

Corvette Sauske!

Partitionless install: Installing Red Hat Linux without partitioning by installing a image of it on a current FAT(32) partition that you boot with a floppy without re-partitioning or effecting a installation of Windows that may be on the drive as well. It was offered in 6.1 till 7.3 and then it just dissapeared (It was not mentioned in the install guide).

11. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

Why don't you just install it correctly and give Linux it's own partition(s), RH only needs about 5GB for complete functionality.

12. Bronx Bomber

Bronx Bomber Guest

i gots mandrake (along with win xp pro and win longhorn) and it works great. i suggest you try it.

13. Corvette

Corvette Sauske!

Just figured this out, They removed support for fresh installing them in 7.2 but you can still upgrade them.

14. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

Yes try mandrake its like potty training for people new to linux