linux? free!

Discussion in 'Linux & BSD' started by forcer, Mar 8, 2004.

1. forcer

forcer OSNN Senior Addict

i am right in believing linux is free yeah?

so will u be able to download it off the net? where cna i get it from?

2. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

3. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Thread Moved: Applications --> Operating Systems>Linux

4. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

It is free. But it's not as amazing as some people make out. I've used it, and like it, however it's by no means a Windows replacement.

5. Aussie983

Aussie983 ßµ®ηiή Şiliςδη

linux would be amazing if it could change program and driver installation and abstract the user from the kernel :cool:

6. pSxMoD

pSxMoD OSNN Junior Addict

I agree that most distributions of Linux are by no means a replacement for Windows on a desktop computer. I use Linux a lot, but mainly for my server. I also have Red Hat running on one of my other computers that I often use. Unless you are very experienced with Linux, it will be hard to get used to the change from Windows to Linux. Other than that, it is a great operating system.

7. vern

vern Dominus Political User Folding Team

All relative to what you want it to do. If you want Linux to use the latest greatest hardware to run all your games, then no it isn't a Windows replacement. That is the sole reason I still use a Windows desktop. I also experiment with Debian Sid a lot, and for many things, it is very very usable. Aside from the proprietary technology that requires Windows, Linux does everything Windows does. If I wasn't so used to my Windows apps and if I didn't play games so much, Linux would certainly become a replacement.

8. forcer

forcer OSNN Senior Addict

what would you say is the best 2 download, its actually for education purposes i dont intend to replace windows

9. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

if you want the easy start, try mandrake or readhat/fedora.

10. vern

vern Dominus Political User Folding Team

Personally, Slackware ... a lot of Linux gurus will swear their life on the command line and it's worth getting used to. Most GUI based apps in Linux are usually just front-ends for their command line counter-parts anyway.

Another distro I would suggest for educational purposes is Debian, merely because it's being used as the base for many Linux distributions out there. Apt-get for Debian is very powerful ... if not complicated. I did a net-install of Debian, and getting it to work properly was an experience.

11. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Great advise :D
    Manual/file-based configuration is the way to go. It's so much easier to troubleshoot a problem when you know what you've done earlier, rather than staring blankly at a "wizard" window that doesn't always do what it should.

Besides, since this is for "educational purposes", there's no better way to get started than diving right into a distro that forces you to learn. :)

12. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

I felt this way a long time, but seriously, now, I can't seem to find a reason to be booted to windows, except to update my antivirus :)

13. NerdUprising

NerdUprising [ Method ]

Thank you for the advice right there (and everyone else of course)... I'm swimming around (from the very bottom) looking at distros, got a blank puter that I would very much like to learn linux basics on, and eventually run a dedicated counter-strike or basic webserver with it

looking into slackware right now... but wasn't sure if I should bother with GUI based versions or not, so that was the kick in the butt I needed :)

/edit - and thanks to j79zlr... nice tutorials, should prove to be very useful :cool: