Linux as a File Server for Home Network

Discussion in 'Linux & BSD' started by Heeter, Jul 26, 2003.

1. Heeter

Heeter Overclocked Like A Mother

Hello guys,

I would like to use Linux as a file server for my home network and as an FTP server as well. I guess my first question would be: If the other 'puters in network are XP home, would they be able to retrieve and put files into the Linux File Server? Would FTP users still access the FTP? What Speed of 'Puter do I need for a File/FTP Server? What free programs can I use for linux for Firewall, FTp Server, Antivirus? Will NO-IP work for Linux? Sorry, but I am very new to Linux.

Heeter

2. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

yep, you can share and store files on a Linux server and use them in Windows. As long as you have a decent understanding of Networking, the Samba configuration shouldn't be too hard.

Samba Configuration

The only problem I ran into was with not having a master browser in my network, so you need to either have the Computer Browser service running in XP, or make sure that Samba is configured with these in the [global] section:

os level = 255
    preferred master = yes
    domain master = yes
    local master = yes

I never set up a FTP server so can't help you there.

3. Heeter

Thanks for the SAMBA configuration, j79zlr

I will await for an FTP response

Thanks again,

Heeter

4. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

FTP wise I would try Pure-FTPd

yes afaik you can get a linux client for No-ip
    Anti-Virus, there arent all that many Unix Viruses at the moment so not all that many AV packages. Sophos sell one which also scans for Windows viruses, so that your machine doesnt act as a like a carrier for the virus.

regarding speed of puter for Linux/Unix, neither have the kinds of speed requirements that windows has. I have a Web/mail/ftp/samba and so on host which runs on a 433MHz Celeron and 256MB Ram and two 40GB hard drives

5. Heeter

Thanks For the response, Geffy

Heeter

6. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

My Linux file/web/ftp server is an old Cel 400, and that's plenty enough. It runs RedHat 8 at the moment. The No-IP service is also running along with Folding@Home to use those spare CPU cycles for something good.