Linksys Wrieless-G 2.4GHz Router with SpeedBooster keeps disconnecting

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Gary Pandher, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Gary Pandher

Gary Pandher Moderator

basically told you everything i know in the title..
    Linksys Wrieless-G 2.4GHz Router with SpeedBooster keeps disconnecting after a couple of minutes. it does it no matter if its in use or not it just keeps disconecting and then reconnecting..anyone know why this happens? n if theres a fix to it?

2. Gary Pandher

Gary Pandher Moderator

3. Howling Wolf

Howling Wolf We did not deserve this !

Maybe could a Mod or SMod move it to Hardware Technical Support > Networking Hardware ?

4. Gary Pandher

Gary Pandher Moderator

yea that might help..didn't know there was a networking area...most of the time i use this one

5. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

Is the router renewing or is it the connected computers that keep reconnecting?

6. Reg

Reg eXperienced!

I had a similar problem when I first bought my Netgear G router with speedboosting. The problem, apparently, is Windows-related. Speedboost works by bursting the connection beyond 54Mb by using simultaneous spreads. Windows XP detects this boost and adjusts itself to the change. However, when the burst settles back down (every few seconds to a few minutes), Windows XP interprets this as a drop in the signal and thus, drops the connection. It then reconnects at the current speed and the cycle repeats itself.

You have two options for a fix:

1. Use a Linksys-G card that has software to accept the burst (taking Windows XP completely out of the loop). Or

2. Upgrade to RC2 of Windows XP SP2. This problem has been corrected in SP2.

7. Gary Pandher

Gary Pandher Moderator

im not using the wireless access tho..its all cat 45 cables for now..just got it cuz im gonna be buying a laptop soon...
    modem> cat45 to router> cat45 to cpu
    it shudn't drop the connection shud it?

8. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

Just out of curiosity, what is cat 45 cable?

9. Gary Pandher

Gary Pandher Moderator

the wire used for networking .... it looks like a telephone wire but its thicker and the head is bigger for it....i beleive its called a cat45 cable ...

10. Gary Pandher

Gary Pandher Moderator

i cant reallyget SP2 because of...*cough* pirated *cough* sooo yea is there any other way to get a fix for this?

11. Reg

Reg eXperienced!

I believe you are attempting to refer to a Category 5 (or Category 5e) cable with RJ45 ends. RJ45 is the type of connector. Category 5 (a.k.a. Cat5/Cat5e) is the type of cable.

As for SP2, you shouldn't be using pirated software. That is the leading cause to the spread of viruses and rising costs for Windows users.

12. Gary Pandher

Gary Pandher Moderator

$500 for win xp (cdn price) its a lot man

13. Reg

Reg eXperienced!

Yeah, but still not an excuse to pirate it.