Linksys BEFSR41 ver.2 , how to config?

I didn't say you have to run DHCP, it just makes things alot easier. Ok I've now downloaded and read the manual to see what was so different with the Linksys. When it comes to "normal" home networking I don't really see a difference from other NAT routers. Sure it has a lot of more features but nothing that interferes with the instruction "turn on DHCP and you'll be fine".

This is what I gathered from the manual:

DHCP disabled:
Code:
                        Internet
(optional)                  |
DHCP server ------- NAT Gateway (Linksys)
               |
               |
             / | \
           {Clients}

DHCP enabled:
Code:
          Internet
             |
    NAT Gateway (Linksys)
     running DHCP server
             |
             |
           / | \
         {Clients}

I still think DHCP enabled is the way to go.

You guys are getting fired up here. You are all correct in your own circumstances. iForceTundra, sort through this mess and see what works for you.

Originally posted by xsivforce
iForceTundra, sort through this mess and see what works for you.
Heh, good luck ;)
Would be easier to just ignore everything past post 4. :)

I know that charter uses mac address authenitcation. Your NIC was registered when you first connected to them. Now that your not longer using your NIC to connect, your using your router. The router has its own mac address. But you can clone the mac address of your router so that it appears like its your NIC. if you linky is a new revision there should be a tab to clone mac address. If not update the firmware. You can find the mac address of your current nic from start/run/cmd then type getmac. Use this address to clone the linky to it.
I also live in fort worth and many friends use charter, i use dsl. GL

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back