Limit Bandwidth On a Computer

B

Blitzkrieg

Ok, so heres the deal:

I use my computer to download different 'things' throughout the day. Now my DSL line can handle up to 100KB/s as it stands. However, I have 2 computers hooked up to this line, and my brother gets extremely annoyed if he's trying to play some game online while I'm downloading and using up all the bandwidth.

Is there any way I could limit the bandwidth on the machine I'm downloading with so it would only use up 50k of the possible 100k?

Thanks.

I believe you can use qos to reserve bandwidth on the other box, so your box will be restricted...I'll try to find it.

I have never done it

Contention that’s how this is achieved. This is the ability to time slice Internet use using the device that connects the various PC’s to the Net. If it’s a feature of the device you use (and I doubt it as they are expensive) then you will have to purchase one. These in effect “manage” the various connections using a pre-defined set of rules that you create.

:)

only in pro, open

gpedit.msc

Computer configuration, Administrative templates, Network.

Highlight the QoS Packet Scheduler

double click the limit reservable bandwidth setting

On setting tab check enabled

Where it says Bandwidth limit %, change it to read what ever percent you want to reserve for QoS-aware apps
Click OK

Go to Network connections;

Right click on your connection, properties... under the General or the Networking tab (where it lists your protocols) make sure QoS packet scheduler is enabled.

reboot your computer and you are all done.

as I said, I have never done this, nor do I know anyone that has...obviously, you have to be working with qos aware programs as well.

hope this helps

is there a way i can get gpedit.msc on winxp home?

I dont think its a part of the Home edition, so i dont think there is a way of getting it to work

Well, I do happen to have PRO, so I'll give this a shot and let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks for all the help. :D

and no, it's impossible (so far) to get gpedit to open on home.

I'm ov the opinion that it's in home, but not accessable, but most say it's not even in home.

I believe I was able to get

"you don't have authorization" on home when I went in a round about back door to open it

Just as a bit of an update....

I did some googling around and found this little jewel:

NetLimiter

Basically, it can limit the bandwidth of any program in real time. Theres no need to restart the computer to make it work or anything complicated. Simply start the program, choose the program you want to limit (shows a list of currently running programs) and choose the limit you want it to have.

It also shows the current bandwidth that program is using among other things. Only catch is its NOT free. Theres trial software that lasts 30 days and then after that you must purchase it.

Anyways, thanks for all the help. If anyone knows of a similar program that is freeware, could you point me in the right direction?
:p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back