LightScribe

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by vivid_vibe, Feb 20, 2005.

1. vivid_vibe

vivid_vibe OSNN Senior Addict

Anyone heard of this technology yet? Apparently a DVD burner supporting LightScribe can etch labels into the disc using the same laser that writes the data. I found an article here about a Philips drive that supports it. The LightScribe main site is http://www.lightscribe.com/, of course. I'm not sure if blank media is available yet, but this seems like a pretty good alternative to magic markers or cd markers.

vivid

2. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

I think I saw a computer at the local Future Shop which had one, I believe it was a HP machine.

Seems like a good idea, cept from what I kno, you need to buy special disks which may or may not cost more.

3. vivid_vibe

vivid_vibe OSNN Senior Addict

Yes, you will have to buy special discs and I'm sure they will cost more. But in time, it will go lower in price, as any new technology does.

On another note, LightScribe will now be supported by Nero 6. Read about it here.

vivid

4. the_music_man

the_music_man aka prodj88 =P

yup comes with HP dvd writers. sounds like a good idea but it doens't interest me too much

5. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

The media is available. Someone had a pack on sale for $7.99. Can't remember whom. It was like a 3 pack or 5 pack of them.

6. Tuffgong4

Tuffgong4 The Donger Need Food!!!! Political User

very interesting and cool idea but this is what a marker is for

7. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

new meaning to dual-layer DVD's. lol. i wouldn't mind getting one of the drives if it could use standard DVD/CD media.

8. true true, nec is better :D

9. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Major drawback. All you get is shades of silver. No colors. Might as well buy printable blank media and run it through a compatible inkjet.

Or just scan the original and print it on a paper label which is what I do. Just make sure there are no bubbles and you use a good quality label so the glue and acid in the paper don't attack the coating.

10. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

Lite-On and Phillips makes the drives. HP is a major backer.

Verbatim is the only company producing blanks at this moment in time.

I think it's a good idea but I think it will go much the way of Yamaha's T@2 technology.

11. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

wasn't T@2 basically the same exact thing as Lightscribe? cept maybe with a slight amount of color?