Life sentence for cyber crimes.

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Pastorn, Jul 16, 2002.

1. Pastorn

Pastorn Guest

http://news.com.com/2100-1001-944057.html?tag=fd_top

America looks more and more like a communist regime in the 50's or 60's than a free democracy. When will you ever learn that the people you really want (the real terrorists) doesn't care if you kill them or put them in prison for life. This law will only kill the integrity of your own citizens. Sometimes I wonder if your politicians is hand-picked from a mental institution, how the h*ll can you vote for such idiots?

2. Friend of Bill

Friend of Bill What, me worry?

Who really knows, they probably elect themselves behind the scenes.:D

3. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

Punishments for such crimes should be more strict. To go to prison for life for such a crime would have to include many counts. Hacking/computer fraud is a terrible crime and I am glad the United States is finally stepping up to the plate to try and knock it down. DoS attacks have cost me a lot of money and maybe now, sites such as this one won't have to go through it on a daily basis because of new laws like this.

4. madmatt

Because in most cases you are going across state lines (or country borders) to do so, making it a federal issue.

5. Friend of Bill

Probably because the guy catching you is paid more than the cop on the beat.

6. madmatt

Also, the Feds have jurisdiction over any cyber crime, making it a felony.

7. Pastorn

Pastorn Guest

Yes but what's happening if the criminal is located in another country where the FBI has no jurisdiction? If I gained access to a military network located in the US and did some real damage, I don't think that my own government would have me delivered to an american trial if i faced a life sentence (I'm swedish). And countries like China, Iran and Pakistan where the real cyber terrorists are located doesn't care.

8. madmatt

The US Gov't has jurisdiction where ever they want. They will find a way to get you. They have in the past and they will continue to do so.

I can think of a few cases right off the top of my head, "Analyzer" is one.

9. Friend of Bill

Most countries cooperate with the FBI. Additionally, your country would probably agree to have you tried locally. Especially if it is a NATO country or a country that recieves U.S. federal funding of any kind.:)

10. madmatt

It's not foreign aide, it's just a bribe.

11. Friend of Bill

12. Pastorn

Pastorn Guest

My country doesn't and it never will :D

13. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

what country??

14. ECO

ECO Guest

No, actually the FBI do not have jurisdiction where ever they want and nor does any other organization. They may find a way to get you, but don't flat out lie and say they have jurisdiction.

I remember one case where the FBI couldn't get to some hackers because they were situated in Russia, and the Russian goverment didn't give a damn. Nevertheless, they tricked them into travelling to the USA for an alleged hackers' meeting, which was a total sting operation. They then could be successfully tried and convicted in court, which they were.

15. ECO

ECO Guest

What's more strict than going to prison for life? And don't even mention the death penalty, because that is ******* evil and many lawfully good citizens of the US won't allow it.

And if you haven't noticed, I totally object to your opinion. No offence. :)

16. ECO

ECO Guest

And what of the people that purposely kill the person that has purposely killed ;). Shouldn't they also be killed because, by your terms, they deserve it. It would be a ficious cycle, and 2 wrongs do not make a right, nor would 3, 4, 5, etc.

If your views might have derived from thinking that retribution is the key, I'd just like to say that the phrase an eye for an eye came from a much more primitive age.

17. loppdawg69

loppdawg69 Guest

Just look at texas highest death sentence rate and concealed weapons are legal..low rate of homicides burglaries muggings...etc etc etc...you dont mess with anyone cause you dont know who is armed. =)

18. Friend of Bill

Quote: "My country doesn't and it never will"

Resistance is futile :D

19. Friend of Bill

Quote: "I think the death penalty ought to be given more often.....

You kill someone purposely and you deserve it."

Agreed. Although, I never believed in the electric chair. The electric bench would of been more appropriate.:D

20. ECO

ECO Guest

OMG, how can you compare a mathematical coincidence to real life situations? That's truly juvenile.