Lexmark X73 & WindowsXP

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by tobydog27, Dec 4, 2001.

1. tobydog27

tobydog27 Guest

I have a Lexmark X73, All-in-one, printer and scanner.

Since upgrading to Windows XP, if I do not turn on the X73 before opening Windows XP and keep it switched on until I shut down Windows XP
    the next time I switch on the computer, my USB port says unkown device.

I then uplug the power supply to the X73 and then re-connect the power supply and the X73 is then recognised once again.

Can anyone help with this problem please!

2. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

To clarify: you do this when XP is up and running and then it recognizes your device ok? It doesn't work by just turning the printer on? Or do you have to unplug, turn it on, and reboot to get it to recognize?

A lot of people have been having issues with USB devices in XP. You might try looking for BIOS updates and other USB driver info/updates from your m/b manufacturer.

3. tobydog27

tobydog27 Guest

X73

Hi Lonman,
    Thanks for the interest.

Yes it only works by reomoving the power cable to the printer.
    Switching the printer on/off does not work.
    I take this action when the computer is running.

I have read all I can at usbman.com.......this is an excellent site for USB problems.....but mine is different.

As long as I switch on my printer before starting XP and only switch off the printer after closing XP I don't have a problem.

4. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

I'd suggest going to your m/b manufacturers site and getting the newest bios and drivers for your board. Get that done and if the problem is still there i'd call Lexmark and see if this is a recurring problem and if a fix is available. Other then that i really wouldn't know what else to suggest. A damn nuisance though, in my opinion, when this sort of stuff doesn't work right. I hope you can get it fixed. good luck.

5. tobydog27

tobydog27 Guest

Problem fixed

Hi Lonman,
    Thank you for your suggestions, but the problem is now fixed.

I un-enabled the bi-directional cable in printer properties and now the problem has gone.

You always leave the simple things until last.

The X73 is working very well, no more unpluging the power cable.