Lets talk digital cameras

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by Bucky Badger, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Bucky Badger

Bucky Badger OSNN Addict

Now that digital cameras are really main stream I want to upgrade from my olympus D510 2.1MP to....I was thinking od the Nikon coolpix 8800 or 8400. I see the main difference is the 8400 is 3.5 optical and the 8800 has audio and 10 optical.

Nikon Cameras

Now that everyone has used digital cameras for a while, i'm looking for suggestions, good or bad on any camera not just Nikon.
    Thx

2. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

Main difference is that the 8400 is a wide angle, 24mm to 85mm lense, a first for prosumer Nikons. Whereas on the 8800 is a not so wide angle but very nice zoom 35mm to 350mm, covers a huge range. The 8880 is also a little heavier. Coming from a standard Oly, I'd say the 8800 is the one for you.

The D510 had a 35mm to 105mm, so it'll be more what you're used to. :)

BTW, what are you doing with the old Olympus?

3. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

Here's more or less the primary difference between the two.

[​IMG]

:)

4. Bucky Badger

Bucky Badger OSNN Addict

probably use it as a back up. The sliding door sucks, bucause it closes ever so slightly and shuts the camera off :rolleyes:

5. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

I'm no longer satisfied with a 3x/3.5x optical zoom. Now that better lenses are built-in on consumer models, I would definitely make that an important spec on any camera you look at.

6. Bucky Badger

Bucky Badger OSNN Addict

I wonder if I should attempt THIS ON EBAY or stay with newegg

7. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

Don't bother - I'm sure those extension lenses are VERY low quality and will degrade the image significantly - same goes for the filters. The mini-tripod is junk and stands about 6 inches, and will not support the weight that camera properly. The 99 dollar tripod appears to be a no-name and you can get much better one for the same price. :) Pardon me if I seem very opinionated but I handle a variety of cameras daily and I think I've seen quite a bit.

8. Bucky Badger

Bucky Badger OSNN Addict

Yeah you are probably right.