Leopard + GNU Screen.

Discussion in 'Macintosh' started by SPeedY_B, Mar 12, 2008.

1. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

I've always used the Mac OS X terminal for various tasks and with it have always found 'screen' to be very handy. I've never had a problem using screen with any previous iteration of OS X, however under Leopard it seems that launching screen completely ignores my ~/.bash_profile and ~/.bashrc files, which contain a few custom commands and additional PATH variables.

Does anyone know why this may be happening and any way to rectify it?

2. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

I have noticed this as well. Have not yet found a solution.

3. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

You guys need to give me some good uses for Terminal. I've probably used it less than 10 times in the 3 years or so I've been on a Mac.

4. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

irssi :p

Oh, and off course SSH to other machines. Programming in vim. Ehm, I don't know what you are looking for in terms of what to use terminal for.

5. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

cant get my head around that irc prog on linux - not if im in more than one chan :p

6. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Heh. IRSSI FTW! :D

If you need uses for terminal, you likely don't really need to use it at all, though I'd definitely recommend MacPorts as a good place to start diving into Terminal based apps.

7. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

irb :D

I've also noticed that when starting ssh-agent on a FreeBSD machine it tends to not load in my bash startup files either. Given that Leopard seems to automatically support SSH keys now it could be something to do with that.

8. Steven Levis

Steven Levis OSNN One Post Wonder

I was having similar difficulties when I found your post. I found the following helpful tidbit in the man page, regarding use of the shell customization.

Set the command to be used to create a new shell. This overrides the value of the environment variable $SHELL. If the command begins with a '-' character, the shell will be started as a login-shell.

For example, I have the following line in my ~/.screenrc

Code:
    shell -/bin/bash
    Hope it helps!

-Steve