LCD Response Time

A

adamg

In the specs of a Sony SDMS51R 15" LCD, it says:

Response Time: 10ms rise / 20ms fall.

does this mean the effective response time is 15ms (10+20 / 2) or 30ms?

Found this:
Response time
The number not often quoted is the time it takes a pixel to switch from one color to another. Its quoted in milliseconds and is often broken into its 2 parts the rise & fall (i.e.: a 10ms rise & 20ms fall would be added together to get a 30ms response time). Response time has dropped dramatically since LCDs hit mainstream. My old IBM Thinkpad 600E (manufactured in early 2000) has a response time of 50ms. When I play a fast moving game on it, the pixels can not keep up and there is a little ghosting that happens. The VE500 has a response time of 30ms, which seems to be quite good. Its been noted that a 25ms response time yields 25 pictures per second which the human eye perceives to be full-motion. To be honest, I haven't noticed any ghosting on the VE500 at all, despite playing some games that really tax the system.

Originally posted by SPeedY_B
Its been noted that a 25ms response time yields 25 pictures per second which the human eye perceives to be full-motion.
can't be true, or else that old lcd with a 50ms response time would yield 50 pictures (frames) per second? the lower the response time, the more complete images per second, the better.

1 second = 1000ms
1000ms/25ms = 40fps

and although that 25fps/full-motion concept is true, humans can tell the difference at 50fps and even higher. so lcd's won't be perfect until their response time drops to around 15ms, i'd say.

k thanks. tho i think that an LCD will do 60fps @ 60hz and 75fps @ 75hz (vertical-refresh), but the response time just determines if you get ghosting or not. like i heard that a 30ms has slight ghosting, and 50ms would be pretty noticeable.

yeah and i can tell the diff between 25fps and 40fps any day. The easiest way to do that is to play HL/CS and set fps_max to 25 or whatever and youll see the difference straight away.

Originally posted by adamg
k thanks. tho i think that an LCD will do 60fps @ 60hz and 75fps @ 75hz (vertical-refresh), but the response time just determines if you get ghosting or not. like i heard that a 30ms has slight ghosting, and 50ms would be pretty noticeable.
very true. i was just referring to how many complete, solid pictures per second an lcd could show. should have explained better.
:eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back