LCD monitor for gaming??

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by mavis, Jul 20, 2002.

1. mavis

mavis Guest

Hi guys!

I am looking at building a new system, and I think I want to go LCD/TFT for my monitor. What I was wondering is, do any of you use LCD's for gaming? What are your opinions? I've read about unacceptable pixel delays, I think the model I'm looking at has 25ms delay - is that decent?

Actually, here is the one I'm looking at, the Syncmaster 171T. I can't seem to find any reference to it on cnet or even Samsung's website, but then again it may be just an Asian model (so it wouldn't be on their USA site...) - I don't know if any of you can speak or read japanese :) but here is the spec page from samsung.co.jp - does this look like a decent monitor, just going by the specs? I know the 170T got GREAT reviews in America, but this one looks a bit different ...

Here's the link...

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!!!

mavis

2. Reg

Reg eXperienced!

I actually enjoy LCDs. They are easier to look at and have much a much crisper display.

Honestly, there are a ton of LCD formats, XGA, UXGA, etc, but the only thing that really matters is this:

Passive Matrix and Active Matrix

This is probably what you are referring to.

Passive Matrix uses a passive scan. Its almost like looking at a virtual desktop that is sending you screenshots every second. Moving the mouse brings forth a delay. You have to wait a bit for the display to catch up with the input you give it.

Active Matrix uses an active scan. There is no delay between your input process and the screen.

You want an Active Matrix TFT display.

3. WuGgaRoO

WuGgaRoO Guest

Here is what i heard about LCD screens. They are horrible for gamers. This is because the delay is too much and you have ghosting. Thats like... when a game gover over 40 fps or so...then the images will start to trail. Please correct me if im wrong

4. Reg

Reg eXperienced!

I'm playing Counter Strike on an LCD. Looks good to me.

5. WuGgaRoO

WuGgaRoO Guest

how many fps?, whats ur graphics card? and what lcd screen do u have

6. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

What, On your Notebook? (I'm lookin at your posted specs in your sig.)

There is pixel delay and ghosting on LCD/TFT monitors.

And Mavis, you do alot of Graphics and imaging don't you? They are not recomended for serious graphics.

Check this out:

http://www.tomshardware.com/display/02q1/020114/lcd-03.html

7. [oc]Lucifer

[oc]Lucifer Guest

Depends..

On how picky about image quality you are.. I think LCDs on gaming are ok if you are willing to get used to some blurring and lack of image quality. I cant, so I bought a 19" regular monitor.
    Lucifer

8. lilsnoop40

lilsnoop40 Guest

I bought a mag innovision from best buy. 17 inches, LCD and i love it. picture is great for games and normal use. crisp picture model number LT765

9. Reg

Reg eXperienced!

No, on an LCD monitor. I have one, it's just not in my sig (my sig is sort of old). I don't play games on my notebook.

10. mavis

mavis Guest

thanks for the replies, guys...

I still don't know what to get. The LCD is appealing because of its size, obviously, but also becasue I hate (read: FRIGGIN HATE!!) geometry errors, and every single CRT I've ever owned has had them. The LCDs of course have perfect geometry ... Anyway, any other thoughts? I mean, if the delay time of that LCD is 25ms, how bad could it be??

:D

mavis

11. Shawn319

Shawn319 Guest

[correct]
    I love my LCD monitor :) games look great on it and I never have problems with trails or ghosting or low FPS. I play games with 40-200FPS and the higher, the better.
    [/correct]

I think the problem with most LCD monitors is the refresh rate. i use mine at 1280x1024x32 with 72 refresh rate (it used to get bumped down to 60 cause of the nvidia bug but thats fixed now).

12. Shawn319

Shawn319 Guest

You dont have a good LCD monitor, do you? =P

13. Cosmin

Cosmin Graphic Designer

.:Mavis:. In your place I would buy the newest LCD Monitor From ADi : www.adiusa.com :rolleyes:

14. mavis

mavis Guest

Awesome. So if the LCD I want to buy lists its vertical refresh as 56-85Hz, do I just take the average?? :)

mavis

15. Shawn319

Shawn319 Guest

btw, mine is a "Thin Film Transistor Active Matrix Liquid Crystal Display"

16. Shawn319

Shawn319 Guest

Well I think differant resolutions let you use differant refresh rates. I love the 1280x1024x32 resolution and it lets me use 72MHz refresh rate. it would probably be best if you went to a store (best buy, circuit city, compusa, ect) and ask someone what the resolutions are and what refresh rates work for those. (higher is better, try not to go under 60-70). screen size is another factor u need to look at because bigger monitors get higher resolutions (i think). mine is 18.1''.