LCD display serving both as monitor and TV

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Digdis, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Digdis

Digdis OSNN Addict Political User

Hi there folks. This question may somehow be related to this forum.
    I plan to buy an LCD display (round 20") that should serve both as TV and PC monitor; meaning I want to connect it to my PC and to my satellite box.
    Now, I know I can purchase a TV card, connect my sat box to its input, and watch TV via my PC. I prefer not to do it, as "it's too complicated" (my kids are the main crowd for this TV), and I don't wanna keep this PC always on.
    The other alternative would be buying an LCD display having two input connectors (say DVI & VGA), connecting my PC to the DVI, and connecting my sat box to the VGA. Only problem is that my sat box only has SCART and RCA outputs. So:
    1. Is there a way to convert from SCART/RCA to VGA connector?
    2. What about the sound? How can I easily switch between my PC and my sat box?
    What do you think of this whole scene?
    D.

2. mlakrid

mlakrid OSNN BASSMASTER Political User Folding Team

3. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

4. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

Another thing to consider, is that generally the TV LCD's are going to have better speakers in them.

5. Digdis

Digdis OSNN Addict Political User

Thanks mlakrid. Been there. Unfortunately, down here (Israel), LCD TVs of the scale I'm looking for (round 20") have quite a low resolution for work with PC (640x480 and such). I guess the murderous custom here will prevent me from purchasing the 19" version of the Dell TV you suggested - though it will definitely solve my problem.

6. mlakrid

Not true, actually this TV has a native resolution of 1280x1024 its perfect for a PC...

Heres CNETs information:

http://google2-cnet.com.com/Dell_W3000/4014-6482_9-30631436.html?rvwtp=4507-6482_9-30631436&tag=nav.specs&cip=1&orderby=90&sort=

As for customs, I feel for you, Im glad I don't have to worry about it... Also this is 30" TV not a 19" Ill look to see if they have any competeing models in or near the size you are looking for...

I just linked you to Dell because they have the best deals for the size....
    :D

7. mlakrid

Yes while its true they have SLIGHTLY slower response times, it isnt worht worrying about if you plan to watch more TV than using it for a PC display which is what it sounds like for him...

8. mlakrid

Ok then, well how about this:

Its an NEC 23 Inch LCD TV with very nice specs for less than $900 US

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1283664&CatId=385

There, now how you like that one??

I forget how good I am at reaserching stuff sometimes

HEHEHE!!! :laugh:

EDIT: forgot listing specs:
    RES: 1280 x 768
    Inputs:
    DVI-D
    S-Video
    15 pin D-Sub
    Component In
    Composite RCA

Contrast Ratio: 500:1