LCD display serving both as monitor and TV

Digdis

OSNN Addict
Political Access
Hi there folks. This question may somehow be related to this forum.
I plan to buy an LCD display (round 20") that should serve both as TV and PC monitor; meaning I want to connect it to my PC and to my satellite box.
Now, I know I can purchase a TV card, connect my sat box to its input, and watch TV via my PC. I prefer not to do it, as "it's too complicated" (my kids are the main crowd for this TV), and I don't wanna keep this PC always on.
The other alternative would be buying an LCD display having two input connectors (say DVI & VGA), connecting my PC to the DVI, and connecting my sat box to the VGA. Only problem is that my sat box only has SCART and RCA outputs. So:
1. Is there a way to convert from SCART/RCA to VGA connector?
2. What about the sound? How can I easily switch between my PC and my sat box?
What do you think of this whole scene?
D.

Another thing to consider, is that generally the TV LCD's are going to have better speakers in them.

Thanks mlakrid. Been there. Unfortunately, down here (Israel), LCD TVs of the scale I'm looking for (round 20") have quite a low resolution for work with PC (640x480 and such). I guess the murderous custom here will prevent me from purchasing the 19" version of the Dell TV you suggested - though it will definitely solve my problem.

Not true, actually this TV has a native resolution of 1280x1024 its perfect for a PC...

Heres CNETs information:

http://google2-cnet.com.com/Dell_W3000/4014-6482_9-30631436.html?rvwtp=4507-6482_9-30631436&tag=nav.specs&cip=1&orderby=90&sort=

As for customs, I feel for you, Im glad I don't have to worry about it... Also this is 30" TV not a 19" Ill look to see if they have any competeing models in or near the size you are looking for...

I just linked you to Dell because they have the best deals for the size....
:D

Admiral Michael said:
There are actually boxes that do what you are asking. SUch as:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=004525&cid=CC.344

mlakrid: Im not too sure but dont the TV/Comp Monitors have a slower reponse time? At least that's what ice seen here.

Yes while its true they have SLIGHTLY slower response times, it isnt worht worrying about if you plan to watch more TV than using it for a PC display which is what it sounds like for him...

Digdis said:
Thanks mlakrid. Been there. Unfortunately, down here (Israel), LCD TVs of the scale I'm looking for (round 20") have quite a low resolution for work with PC (640x480 and such). I guess the murderous custom here will prevent me from purchasing the 19" version of the Dell TV you suggested - though it will definitely solve my problem.

Ok then, well how about this:

Its an NEC 23 Inch LCD TV with very nice specs for less than $900 US

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1283664&CatId=385

There, now how you like that one??

I forget how good I am at reaserching stuff sometimes

HEHEHE!!! :laugh:

EDIT: forgot listing specs:
RES: 1280 x 768
Inputs:
DVI-D
S-Video
15 pin D-Sub
Component In
Composite RCA

Contrast Ratio: 500:1

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back